Saturday, December 31, 2022

Adios, 2022

 And so another year nears its place in the dustbin of history. I posted Alan Parsons Projects' "Time" on FaceBook (tm) along with my snarky HNY greeting "To those who celebrate." It's one of my pet peeves -- those who wish holiday greetings with the disclaimer "To those who celebrate." Either give the greeting or don't. If I wish someone Happy Pesach and they don't celebrate -- screw them! Same to me if I don't celebrate, say Kwanza. I really should, by the way -- their menorah has fewer candles.

"Time" is, to me, the perfect song to contemplate a milestone in the calendar -- reminding us that time keeps flowing like a river -- to the sea. There's also a funny connection, back on Wifey's 60th birthday cruise, some, well, a few years back. The ship had a piano bar, and Norman and I befriended the pianist, who wasn't nine inches. For reasons I no longer remember, we asked if he knew any Alan Parson's Project, and he knew "Time," and so he'd play it for us each evening with our cocktails. It became our song.

Anyway, speaking of getting annoyed -- I plan, as one of my lesser resolutions, to work on that. Resolution number one is highly unusual and creative. Hey -- it may be unique: lose weight. But another resolution is to judge people and their actions less. Aging makes me more curmudgeonly, and I tend to get far more annoyed, more easily than the water off a duck's back guy I long was. I'm going to see if I can stave off the angry old man thing for a bit longer.

I spent a very chill last day of 2022, but I DID walk nearly 4 miles. I then went to Walgreen's to fetch a prescription, wearing my favorite cap, which is black and says "Miami AF" in white lettering. Young folks always laugh when they see it. The pharm tech was a Boomer, and said "I didn't know Miami had an Air Force!" Yes, I answered -- it's really the US Air Force, but relates to the base down in Homestead. I didn't have the heart to tell her the truth.

I just got off of a lovely FaceTime (tm) with D2, Jonathan, and D1 and the marshmallow. D2 and Jonathan are coming later with the enormous puppy Betsy, and spending the night. They have dinner with their friend Michael, in the Grove, just a stone's throw, literally, from Joelle and Kenny's, where we'll be. 

D1 reported she and her men plan to be fast asleep well before 10. Tomorrow the plan is to start the year at Fairchild Garden -- we'll let the toddler run wild, and get the very white baby some sun. I plan to be up very early to fetch fresh bagels and nova for our houseguests -- D1 reported she and Joey and their men will partake as well, after the garden, nap schedule permitting.

Also tonight, since I am, like the coffee mug I almost bought says, "An Absolute Fucking Delight," I set up a 630 Zoom with Wifey's BFF Edna and her man Marc. I know Wifey savors her friend, and wants to ring out the old, ring in the new with her. So we'll toast and then it'll be on the road to the Grove.

I don't think there is any more to analyze than the fact that there is absolutely no place in the entire world I would rather be than in Miami tonight, and for the coming year.

And, to be truthful to mine own self, I am one extremely blessed, lucky, and overweight Daddy in the USA. Here's to a fine 2023 and all it holds.


No comments: