Wednesday, December 8, 2021

It's A Cane Thing

 Dr. Barry and I have discussed this for close to 40 years now: we care entirely too much about the Miami Hurricanes football team. When we were in college, at least, it was understandable -- we attended school with the players, or some of them, and 18-22 year olds didn't have much else going on.

But as grown ass men, some of us even grandfathers, it's a bit embarrassing that we care so deeply about the exploits of 18-22 year old men, and how well they run around a field and catch, throw, and kick.

Well -- we did something about it. We shifted our passion instead to the drama about who would be the coach! And in that regard we got exciting news: Miami native and double Cane Mario Cristobal was hired to take over the team.

For those of us who attended the U at a certain time and place, the love of our team runs deep. I have a friend I'll call Dave, since that's his name, who was a year behind me in college. He didn't do well enough to attend UM Law, and so went to Harvard instead. From there he clerked for a Federal judge in Miami, but then took a job with a top law firm in Chicago. His family lived outside the Windy City.

Well, and this is true, 5 years later he realized he was sickened each Saturday when all anyone cared about was Notre Dame football. He took the Florida Bar, and came to work for a leading firm in Miami, where he is now the managing partner. He changed the direction of his life and career because of the Canes.

The sad thing is, I totally empathize. I really couldn't imagine moving away and missing the games -- particularly when the plague passes and tailgate parties become normal again.

My closest friends and I all attended UM -- either college, or grad school, or both. And we have so many amazing memories tied up with the team.

On January 2, 1987 the Canes lost to underdog Penn State in the National Championship game. Freaking Vinny Testaverde, who to me will always be a bum, threw 4 picks. The following day was my wedding day. Several of my groomsmen turned to me after that game sealing interception and said "Wedding is off now, right?" They were only partially kidding.

So I'll keep claiming I don't care about the fortunes of the team as much as I used to, but it's not true.

And as Norman and I just said this am, on a call to each other, we are VERY excited about the upcoming season, with Super Mario at the helm.

Ah -- if only I fell in love with opera.

No comments: