Sunday, December 19, 2021

Damned Covid

 Just when we thought it was safe to go back into the water...I know I speak for all, or just about all, when I say BASTA! Enough! But our hopes aren't realized just yet.

My whole family is now triple vaxxed, except for the two year old, and our guru and sacred advisor Dr. Barry doesn't think jabs for toddlers are coming anytime soon. The early research shows they don't work so well on tiny kids, and, as Barry reassures, there is little literature and certainly little of his own experience showing young kids getting very sick or Big Man Forbid, dying, from Covid, unless they have serious underlying conditions. So that gives us comfort about the Little Man, as well as our friends' young grandkids.

D1 and Joey planned a party for the Little Man for today, and thought about canceling, but went ahead. 2/3 of the guests begged off, which was fine, as the event space was not at all crowded, and all the guests were fully vaxxed and masked. The only effect was FAR too much food -- everyone will be eating pinwheels, cheese plates, and chicken tenders for the coming days.

I went ahead and scheduled a Covid test for Wednesday, just to be safe. I'm honestly not too concerned about deathly illness or deathly death, but I DO want to know if I'm positive to thereafter quarantine.

We had reservations for Wifey's birthday next Saturday, Christmas Day, at the former Versace Mansion, a place called Gianni's. I joked inappropriately that their bloody Mary was called the Cunanan. Alas -- we canceled -- it's inside, and Jonathan instead booked us at a restaurant at the Faena Hotel that is outside.

NYE is set for a local favorite Italian place, including our very smart friends Kenny and Joelle. I figure I'll have them make the call as to whether we go ahead with the plans, or bag it like last year and just stay home and eat and try to stay awake until midnight.

Other than that, I guess I'll stick close to home. I would have maybe gone to a Heat or Canes basketball game -- I think I'll take a Pasadena on those for now, although Norman points out that there are more people in a local Publix than attend Canes basketball, especially during Winter Break when the kids are home from their dorms.

We're all fortunate, work wise. Jonathan and D2 can work remotely, as can D1 and Joey. My little work can certainly be done by phone, although I was starting to enjoy weekly Wednesday trips to the office to brainstorm with Stuart and his young Turk Josh.

Instacart will continue,and I think tomorrow I'll even order my Publix meatloaf, which was on hiatus for awhile. And, based on the test results this week, my in person workouts may be put on hold -- though I hope to continue the daily minimum of 7000 steps.

Oh what a world, what a world. This damned virus messing things up for the better part of 2 full years now. Hopefully 2022 sees the transition from pandemic to endemic.

As for today, the Little Man SAVORED his cake. May there be more joyful times like these.

No comments: