Friday, December 17, 2021

It Was Two Years Ago Today

 So D1 was full term, and we knew we might get the call any time. She was under the amazing care of Dr. Yasin, the kindly Middle Eastern OB I called "The Wizard." First -- Barry said he was the best there was -- at the best Children's Hospital in the SE. And second, when D1 was having complications, which turned out to be not horrible, when I met him in her presence he looked at her and said "You belong to me now."

I cried -- he was a fellow father of grown girls, and he got it. D1 and Joey loved him, but as a grandpa to be, I will never forget that comfort he brought me. He retired last year -- long may he enjoy his beautiful family.

Anyway -- my cell rang at, I think, about 2 am. It was D1 -- her water had broken. I woke my brother Barry, and as usual he was sanguine -- no rush. But there was -- there had been mecunium in the water, which meant fast C section lest there be an infection.

Wifey and I flew to Holtz, and met our consuegros. Soon after, Joey came out and told us -- we had a big baby grandson. Mother and baby were doing great.

In D1's room, Barry was there, thankfully looking at a healthy baby instead of his usual critically ill ones. A tall surfer dude looking doc came in, and flipped the baby around -- Joey wasn't used to the fact that newborns are actually less fragile than we'd think.

And a few days later -- they took the boy home -- to a house with a cuddly Spaniel. His life began.

A week later there was a bris at our consuegros house. Eric and Barry stood very close to me. I was moved at their affection. Truth was, they were convinced I was going to pass out at the cut and figured they'd get good purchase. But no -- I held the little guy during the cut -- and he did fine.

Next thing, his Tia Avi (the name he now calls her) and Jonathan got married on Miami Beach. He was there, but secreted away in a room, lest he get ill in his unvaxxed state.

And then things were normal -- oh, except for a worldwide pandemic!!!! Talk about tensosity, as my late friend Alan's neologism says. But D1 was vaxxed, and the hope was the little guy got some of her antibodies. A year later, the plague still raged, but he started pre school anyway -- and is loving it.

And today he turns 2! Wow. The damned plague is still here -- surging again, but far less scary now that we're all vaxxed 3 times, and there are treatments.

We kind of adore the little guy. First -- despite very slim parents, he, well, isn't. At his 2 year checkup yesterday, his doc said he was 65th percentile in height and 90th percentile in weight. She wants D1 to go heavier on the veggies and less on the fruit. I think the pediatrician is fat shaming -- hey -- he used to be 95th percentile! But the boy DOES love to eat.

Last week, his friend Tomas was being fed pancakes at another toddler's house. Our boy looked at them with total lust -- until Tomas's nanny gave him some.

Also -- he has an adorably cute personality and voice. I can't be objective, but I think he's hilarious.

He speaks mostly Spanish, and some English, mostly due to Wifey, who speaks ZERO Spanish. The other day he said he was eating "tomates," and Wifey corrected him to "tomatoes." He'll get it figured out.

We're off in a bit to spend the day with him. School is out for Winter Break, and Wifey and I will play with him and read to him.

Our family has been amazingly blessed by the Big Man. And today we celebrate the biggest blessing of all.

No comments: