Saturday, December 25, 2021

A Birthday Whose Number Cannot Be Revealed

 So folks the world over gather today with their loved ones, hopefully Covid free (ha. as if) and celebrate the birth of their personal Lord and Savior. Around here, Wifey is the reason for the season. Like the Jesus dude, she was also born driving distance from Jerusalem, but many years later.

She has asked that I stop mentioning her age, and so I must comply, but I DO recall we met when she was 26 and I was 22 and I'm now 60. Also, this month she became eligible for a certain government sponsored health care plan whose name rhymes with Schmedicare. But I know how to keep a secret.

It's funny -- when I think of Wifey's age, one memory sticks out. We were with Jeff and Cheryl, sitting at a beachside bar on Isla Mujeres, in the Yucatan. That proved to be the trip where I KNEW I was in love with Wifey and wanted to make things with her more than friends with benefits.

We were talking about dogs, and Jeff asked about Wifey's beloved Sunshine. She said she got him when she was 16. Without thinking, Jeff said "Wow -- old dog." And that has become part of the now large amount of family lore we have created and collected over the decades.

So yesterday, for Wifey Birthday Eve, our Pinecrest Roomies D2 and Jonathan headed up to Aventura to spend time with Jonathan's family -- especially his absurdly adorable 1 year old niece -- a red head like her Mom and Jonathan. The weather here was lovely, and I Uber Eated some Chinese for Wifey -- from a place called Takee Outee -- it's real name. Now that Canton has become Sushi Maki, with only a limited Chinese menu, Takee Outee has become our local go-to takeout place.

I had made pasta and meatloaf, in honor of Festivus, and we sat outside in the company of the strange rescue dog, the special needs Spaniel, and Betsy, the now nearly 90 lb puppy. A lovely breeze blew. Tom Petty played on my Sonos Roam. It was delightful.

Later, Wifey got the Beatles documentary done by the short Australian Peter Jackson to play on our TV, and we watched until D2 and Jonathan returned. Then they were off to bed and I followed their lead, as D2 knew I would.

With my false positive Covid result, we canceled the lunch we planned at Faena, but I got us a spot at Peacock Cafe in the Grove this afternoon. We've been several times -- all outside, with good food, and across from Peacock Park, where we can hopefully take the Little Man afterwards to roam a bit. That toddler brings us so much joy.

So we're in the very heart of our holiday season. Friday is NYE, and we re-booked our plans -- dinner at Mi'Italia with Kenny, Joelle, and their grad student son Adam, along with Diane. D2 and Jonathan will be hosting some of their friends here, and we may try to stay up to midnight to toast the new year with them.

And then, just days later, Wifey and I have our three and a half decade wedding anniversary. I think we'll forego a meal out for that one -- just enjoy more of the nice weather at Villa Wifey, a place I absolutely savor living.

So my dear Wifey -- happy birthday. As our shared favorite Neil Young sang, long may you run. I love the life we have been privileged to build together -- let's keep on keepin' on.

No comments: