Thursday, August 5, 2021

Positive Negative Results And Anger Over The Selfish Dunces

 So I brought my 60 year old self to Sunniland Park for the Covid testing. My appointment was at 9, so per my usual protocol was there at 8:40. No sign of testing personel.

I asked a park employee where it would be, and he directed me to the south end of the park, which you have to access by leaving. I drove there, and found an old guy on a bench, luckily not eyeing little girls with bad intent, and a young fellow who looked like he worked there. He said in perfect Spicoli: "Nah, dude -- it's back on the other side." I laughed and said I was just told the opposite. "Well, I'm just a camp counselor for the Summer, Dude -- I don't really know."

The experience was turning out less Pinecrest and more, oh, Hialeah, which is an unfair comparison. Hialeah, though the butt of jokes, has some of the best municipal services around -- the old Cubans don't stand for incompetency.

Anyway, about 9:10 an SUV rolled up and a fellow was unloading supplies. There were 4 cars, and we were told to line up in what turned out to be the wrong direction, but eventually a competent nurse came over, had me fill out a form even though I had 3 prior tests with the same company, and then came with the swab. I asked for a rapid test and antibody test, too -- hey -- why not? The rapid test is a swab you put in each nostril yourself and rotate 7 times -- seemed to me a better way of getting a sample than the one deep thrust of the PCR. But what do I know?

I drove home, and my usual anxiety from waiting for results ramped up a bit. Wifey had screwed up the date of our cleaning lady, and she was there, with her friend and assistant, chattering away and, let's say, not alleviating my anxiety. I retired to a room above the garage and luckily "Blazing Saddles" was on. That always helps.

The rapid test results were due "in a few hours," and 5 had passed, so I emailed the company. "Check your spam -- we sent 2 hours ago." I did. They weren't there. I emailed again. Nothing. So it was now 4 pm and raining, and I drove back to the test site. The nurse remembered me, and had me ask another nurse with a lap top. "Good news," she said looking up: "Negative." Yay. Looks like the wedding wasn't a super spreader, for me, the officiant, at least.

And then we heard from D1 -- one of the grandson's "bunkmates" had tested positive. The little guy spiked a fever Monday, and sure enough, it was Covid. So the "bunk" closed 2 days early.

And here's the shocker: the kid's parents were unvaxxed. Selfish MFs. Surprise, surprise, surprise, as Gomer said. Like my ex friend Rob, their ignorant arrogance has now hurt others. May Karma run over their dogma.

So D1, Joey, and the little man have to go get tested today. They're more annoyed than concerned -- which seems to be the mood for all of us who are vaxxed.

I read an article about a burgeoning industry: fake vaccine cards. It's easy -- some cardboard, and a simple printer, and pieces of crap gain access to cruises and the like. Ah -- citizens.

Hopefully this surge backs off sooner than later. We all plan to lay a lot lower for the time being -- my anxiety walks have picked up again -- so far not the "manorexia," though I'd benefit from the weight loss again. We'll see.

But for now, at least, the Plague is at bay. But for the selfish dunces, we'd be past it.

No comments: