Sunday, August 29, 2021

Left Out In The Cold

 Wifey always says that when it comes to undertaking home projects, I'm a Negative Nancy -- always thinking things won't work out or will become far more complicated. The reason for that is that I'm typically the one who actually DOES the hiring and planning, and so I know my pessimism is well placed.

And so it has been with the refrigerator. Wifey is getting all new appliances, and the custom ones we need to replace the existing ones take months to arrive on account of the pandemic. So when our 13 year old KitchenAid built in finally died during our weekend trip, I figured I'd buy a regular type unit, have it installed, and be in high ice and chill until the permanent unit could be installed.

I went on Home Depot's site Monday, picked out a Whirlpool unit, and set up delivery for Saturday. Simple. Ha. As if!

Yesterday am Aurelio and his assistant arrived, and moved the new fridge to the garage, and then came to the kitchen to remove the old one. Aurelio grew glum. "Bad news, boss. These things weigh 1000 lbs -- need 4 guys to move them. And they're top heavy -- so really dangerous. We can't touch them with 2 guys."

He suggested I call the delivery company -- said this happens all the time, and "lots of rich people in the Gables and Pinecrest like these built in units -- and I don't know why. They can't be moved, and really don't even hold much more than regular jobs." I agreed.

I called the number, and got nowhere. They said they'd call my local Home Depot. Without the boring, annoying details -- it was a whole day of calls and holds which got nowhere.

But then Aurelio called. He could come back with his "private crew" and take away the old unit for $600. I offered $400. Nope. He had passed my tipping point, so Aurelio is out as my drug dealing-type appliance guy.

So I figure tomorrow I'll frustrate myself more with calls to Home Depot and the delivery company, and end up hiring a crew from Angie's list -- probably for $600 or so.

And then Wifey is going to the new appliance service shop -- to order the new stuff, including state of the art ovens that never get used, except to keep stuff heated when we have catered parties. But they'll look nice -- all matched in stainless steel.

So for now -- we have the garage fridge -- which works REAL well. I put some old fashioned ice cube trays in the freezer -- had cubes in an hour! So between that and the countertop icemaker I got from WalMart.com -- cocktails will continue to be served cold.

Yesterday, while the appliance drama was unfolding, D2 and Jonathan hosted a fun dog/pool party with their friends. Bodie the retriever spent the entire time diving and swimming. It was wonderful. Bodie the Doodle joined Betsy in avoiding the pool. Our old dogs, the strange rescue and special needs Spaniel -- avoided the whole scene.

It was terrific to have these young people -- a newly minted pediatrician Dr. Barry trained, and her lawyer husband, and a construction manager and his marketing exec wife, along with Jonathan's colleague Michael, enjoy the day. And the lawyer, Max, made some fine frozen margaritas. 

After they left, D2 and Jonathan had another party -- right in Pinecrest. I pregamed with Jonathan, and Wifey dropped them off. We went inside, like we would have when the kids were teens, to make sure there was proper parental supervision. The late 20s set, now homeowners, all laughed. 

Ah -- the circle of life. Wifey and I fetched some Mexican food, and came home. The buzz of the vodka had erased the tensosity of the failed appliance project.

Eventually -- things will be cool.

No comments: