Friday, August 6, 2021

An Impromptu Party

 So it was a quiet Thursday, though I did head to the office for a few hours. When I returned, D2 said her friend Tara was coming by, along with another friend, Carson, I hadn't met.

After we returned from our Betsy walk, which included a romp with Jagger, Betsy's new best friend, Tara came over, and I poured her some white wine. The front door opened, and a statuesque beauty came in -- it was Carson, whose husband is a work colleague of Jonathan's. Wifey was outside.

I got to spend time with these three beautiful and accomplished women, a recruiter, a lawyer, and an exec with a furniture company. All were born and raised in the County of Dade, as the song goes, and talked about their different childhoods. D2 was public school educated, Tara Catholic school, and Carson secular private school.

Then D2 announced Jonathan and Andres would be coming over, too, along with their other colleague Mike. She ordered a boat load of sushi, and soon we were in the dining room eating and drinking happily -- it was a terrific get together.

Around 10, Wifey suggested we give the young-uns their own time, and we retired to the family room to watch some more episodes of Cocaine Cowboys: Willie and Sal, which we love. I went to sleep and the 2 young women left -- leaving D2 and the 3 men to talk life and high finance.

To keep the mood up, I got an email confirming I was Covid negative, and more importantly, so was our beautiful grandson -- despite the arrogance and stupidity of one of his classmate's parents.

In that regard, my second stupidest friend called me. The stupidest, Rob, is now an ex-friend. The second stupidest works with thousands of people daily, and is anti-vaxx. Sure enough, he caught Covid, and was hospitalized at Baptist. He checked himself out against medical advice when he freaked out seeing a roommate anti vaxxer on a ventilator. He's monitoring himself at home.

He admitted to me he was a dumb ass to not get the jab. I hope he recovers. If not, his long career with the County, and it's very generous pension, will just go to estranged family members -- for want of an easy vaccine.

So I find myself more and more angry at this class of dunces. Our lives could be returning to normal, instead of reverting to hiding. Selfish and stupid hurts us all.

Tonight I have my normal Zoom. Eric and Dana have a new bouncing grandson -- we'll get to see him on camera. Barry and Donna are flying to D.C. to see their oldest and his lady, so my cocktail Zoom won't have them -- but hopefully Kenny will share, virtually, some of the cool Maine air with us.

It's been, as expected, hot as hell here in this Miami August.

But that invention A/C sure is a good one, and last night it allowed us a delightful time with young, good looking, and accomplished professionals. I really enjoy hosting them -- our future.

No comments: