Saturday, July 24, 2021

Quieter House

 So after hosting Edna and Marc at our house, in addition to D2, Jonathan, and the enormous puppy, it's gotten quieter here.

Yesterday we roused the Atlantans and were out the door by 12:45, on our way to Stephen's Restaurant in Hialeah, home of some amazing sandwiches. My nephew of another mother Josh met us there -- he had some business later in the area, and the 5 of us enjoyed our meal as the skies opened up outside.

Edna had their famous "Newman's Jewban," a cross between a Rueben and Cuban sandwich, and pronounced it her favorite meal of the vacation -- and the food at the Ritz Carlton was excellent. We then dropped them at the Delta part of MIA, which is tiny compared to ATL, where Delta lives, and Wifey and I were off for home. She thought she's want to visit her mother, but was too tired, and I took the opportunity for a nice afternoon nap as "Mayday -- Air Disasters" played on the TV. Wifey finds endless humor in my enjoyment of the show, as I tend to be a nervous flyer, and yet subject myself to the manifold ways planes come down. Oh well...

At 6 I resumed my Eric and Dana Zoom shabbat, and started my usual Friday pasta and meatloaf meal. At 7 Barry, Donna, Eric and Dana jumped on the cocktail Zoom, and D2 and Jonathan had Jonathan's friend over for a pregame drink before Ubering to Wynwood for a young person's evening.

We wished Barry a happy birthday, which is today, but since he skipped a grade in elementary school and is an academic year behind us, is only 58. We'll see him later this evening, at the Palm, after we drop D2 off for a playdate with her sister, brother in law, and nephew -- the Case D1 is on the way to the restaurant.

Jonathan is off to Mexico for business for the week -- so the house will be really quiet again. 

And I have a sermon to write. Next Saturday I will be performing a marriage of a dear friend and his very long time fiancee. I've married, I think, close to 20 couples as a Florida Notary, and this one will be a blast. Several of the guests have limited English skills, and my son in law Jonathan will act as translator. We will be vodka fueled for this event -- but not too much so.

The Plague numbers are surging again, but it seems mostly to be a problem for the unjabbed. Plenty of vaccinated people DO get infected still, but rarely end up very sick or dead, as was the case pre vaccine.

Young Josh said it best when I asked if he was still going out: "I refuse to shut down my life because of stupid people who won't get the jab." I agree with him, though we'll all still mask up, and avoid crowds as much as possible.

In the pre Covid Department -- D2 has asked me to resume my physical training, and this am at 10 we're meeting with Enrique for a private session. I really need strength and mobility help. I'm much thinner than I was pre pandemic, but still make comical grandpa noises when I get out of a chair or have to bend down to pick something up off the floor. Then again, I AM a comical grandpa...

So here's to staying vertical, enduring the heat of the Miami Summer, and keeping on keeping on.

No comments: