Tuesday, July 13, 2021

A Funereal Evening

 So after a weekend of schlepping stuff, D2 and Jonathan and Betsy finally moved into Villa Wifey yesterday. There was early tensosity between the ladies. Jonathan and I drank and laughed.

Wifey and I headed over to the former Shula's, now Public Square (in my opinion an awful name -- but still great food) to meet Ruby, for an informal memorial for Elizabeth. Harris was under the weather, and opted out. We sat, and toasted our dear friend, and told tales -- Ruby from their childhoods, Wifey from college days, and me since I met Elizabeth in 1984. We're still shocked about her sudden death, but it was comforting to remember her. She used to LOVE Shula's -- we probably took her there 25 times.

We brought home some Branzino and salads for the new houseguests, and learned the sad news that they finally found Jonathan's cousin Moises in the Surfside collapse. It was not unexpected, but still awful.

Our Rabbi Yossi was part of the notification team, and he called Jonathan last night. The funeral for the young man is either today or tomorrow. Awful, but I'm sure there is some comfort in the conclusion for the family. May his memory be a blessing.

Today Wifey is headed up to D1 and Joey's, to spend some time with the beautiful grandson. She'll return with a Spoiled Spaniel -- the humans are headed to the Keys this weekend for a getaway with Joey's family. That means that D2 and Jonathan will be in charge of 4 dogs: the Spoiled, now elderly Spaniel, the Special Needs Spaniel, the strange rescue dog, and their own dog, the enormous puppy. Talk about a truly dog infested house!

Wifey has requested that D2 take me for a Daddy/daughter pedicure -- lest the sight of my gnarled feet scare all the guests this weekend at the hotel. Last time we did that was Summer of '19. D2 was on the phone with Jonathan, and overhearing their talk, gleaned that he had accepted the offer with the private equity firm in Miami, and the two would be moving home after 5 years in NYC. I made believe I didn't hear, but tears of happiness streamed down my face.

D2 looked at me, and said "OMG -- are you crying????" "I must have some type of allergic reaction to the stuff the pedicurist is using." But she knew the truth.

I anticipate our next outing will be less dramatic.

Meanwhile, our normally quiet house is much more lively. Jonathan's doing work in the dining room, D2 is continuing to unpack, and one enormous and two smaller dogs are walking about, as if on some mission unknown to the humans. It's lovely.

Summertime -- and the living is lively. And that makes me very happy.

No comments: