Sunday, January 31, 2021

Jabbed!

 So when they announced vaccinations for Covid were starting, I immediately went into my late Dad mode. He taught me that, from his years in the US Army, one can NEVER trust government to protect the individual. He survived his nearly 4 years of service through a combination of luck, savvy, and never volunteering. His lessons were imprinted on me.

I realized that the supposedly "for the greater good" rules were as solid as swiss cheese. I heard right away from a friend who got himself and his wife jabbed through a contact --I figured it was a pharmacist wife of a close childhood friend of theirs. Indeed it was.

Thankfully, my close doctor friends qualified right away, and got their spouses jabbed as well. But a not that sick, younger than 65 lawyer, and his wife, who is also younger than 65, seemed way down the list.

So I went into shuck and jive mode, to use a phrase I love but is no apparently no longer allowed because of racial undertones. Too bad -- these are plague times.

The details are comic, but too long, but the end result of my efforts was that I was indeed able to get a first dose of the Pfizer jab the second week of January, but, alas, Wifey was not. She got to the gates of the place but was turned away -- lacking my shucking and jiving ability. That's ok -- hopefully we'll get her shot soon.

But yesterday I got the coveted second dose, and it is a very major item now ticked off my to do list -- especially as I need to enter a phase of caregiving for a family member with a new health issue.

Of course -- I turned the event into a fun one. I was sporting my Canes gear, and the paramedic assigned to look over we recently jabbed seniors asked me if I felt ok. I faltered a bit, saying I felt maybe the vaccine had somehow sapped my thinking ability, and then let out a "Go Gators!" He and his two comrades buckled over in laughter. Gator jokes in Miami always kill.

I was invited, for the third Saturday in a row, out with Kenny and Joelle. Their brilliant and witty sons were home -- Kenny cooked up a big vat of Indian stew and rice. I received medical clearance from him to have a martini or two post jab -- his boy Adam insisted I have more than my usual just vodka and ice to celebrate. The drinks, like the dinner, were delicious.

We sat in their Florida room, socially distanced, but in wonderful conversation, about people and events from days long gone to the present. Kenny and I met when we were in 7th grade. A lot sure has gone on since then.

I came home to thoughts of the anti viral mRNA coursing through my immune system, ready to rally a huge F You to any corona virus that dares enter. Of course there are no guarantees, but it takes away a fear as I embark on a new phase of life.

Today, I think Joey is off to play golf, and D1 and the baby and the aging, spoiled Spaniel are coming over. Tomorrow, hopefully our life comes back to something closer to normal, given the health issue.

But at least I got done a nagging errand. High anxiety ought to have been an accepted co-morbidity, anyway.

As for my close family circle, Jonathan had and recovered from the virus. D2 never caught it, despite no quarantining from her husband. D1 is awaiting jab #2 -- she got the first as a licensed health care provider. Joey is on the list, too, as are my 4 consuegros -- I think Jonathan's Dad, 71, already got one jab.

Dr. Barry continues to talk me off the ledge regarding kids and Covid -- although some do get sick -- they almost always recover. Hopefully the grandson gets his jab in Spring or Summer.

Man -- a little piece of viral thread sure can have a huge effect on things. Hopefully we keep it at bay.

No comments: