Tuesday, January 26, 2021

A Lot Can Sure Happen In A Year

 Today is D2 and Jonathan's first wedding anniversary. The thing I think I'll always remember about that evening is the light during the ceremony.

We gathered on the rooftop of the Betsy Hotel on South Beach -- across the sand from the spot near the ocean where I proposed the Wifey, and the hotel where we celebrated our 10th anniversary. We checked in there back in '97 following the Bris of my nephew of another brother, Scott. So a LOT of life events we've had surround that location.

But the light: it was sunset, and as the life giving ball fell over Downtown Miami, and to the West, the Everglades, somehow we were bathed in a yellow/orange that a Hollywood lighting director would have had a tough time recreating. It was clear and shimmering at the same time. At first, I thought my perception was due to the vodka we toasted with during the signing of the ketubah, or just my joy at seeing my precious D2 marry her besheret. But even Rabbi Yossi, who's done a few weddings in his tenure, mentioned it to me -- in fact, he said, it may have inspired him to do something he never did at a wedding before: refer to the Holocaust.

Both D2 and Jonathan are grandchildren of Survivors, and Rabbi Yossi noted that the two were very clear symbols of a people destined by an evil one for destruction, who nonetheless survived and indeed thrived. If you were lucky to be there and have a soul -- you were moved by his message.

Anyway, what followed was a night of feasting and drinking, and mostly, dancing. D1 and Joey had our precious 6 week old grandson in a room upstairs, and knowing that precious boy was in the house -- well - our cups runneth (ranneth?) over.

And then life played on. Joyfully, the grandson grew, and thrived. He's now a beautiful 13 month old boy -- already showing signs of who he will be -- curious, charming, and hilarious. He's close to walking -- he does so now holding on to a wheeled toy or grownup. He focuses on things, like his mother did. And then he looks up at you and smiles, and you melt.

Oh yeah -- another small thing happened: a once in a century, worldwide pandemic. Weeks after the wedding, we started hearing about this new virus. A year later, we're still battling it, and living in fear of it.

There was a political upheaval that brought us closer to civil war than at any time since the Civil War. Oh boy.

Thankfully, Science moved historically fast, and there are vaccines -- if we can get them into arms fast enough, life may return to sort of normal by Fall. Our country was wounded, but made it through. May Trump rot, along with those who continue to support him.

Closer to home, we've dealt with some health issues that were VERY scary. Here too, we seem to be on the path to recovery and healing, though like the recovery from the corona virus, it'll be a marathon and not a sprint.

Through my life, I was never one who felt famous people were really close to me. Celebrities would die, and I was like, oh well -- not my close friend or family. An exception to that for me was John Lennon -- I was a Beatles fan throughout my childhood, and his lyrics and struggles always resonated with me. When I found out he was killed, it truly shook me. And one of the reasons is one of his songs always meant so much: Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans. I even bought the T shirt -- in Key West - in the 80s!

The line was from the homage to his baby son, "Beautiful Boy." I keep hearing that tune when I'm with my grandson -- to me he is truly beautiful. Last night, I was speaking with my California sister, and she was telling me how she rediscovered music after many years -- she sings in a local band now -- pandemic be damned! She recalled how as a kid, so much of my life was baseball --when did I last pick up a glove or bat? Well over 2 decades ago, was my answer. But maybe, just maybe, I'll be the one to teach that beautiful boy a thing or two about baseball.

But today, D2 and Jonathan celebrate. D1 and Joey just texted them: don't eat breakfast. Apparently there's a surprise delivery on the way. And tonight, the classic couple is headed to the classic Miami restaurant: Joe's -- only the second time each of them have visited. I love that -- a vision of a young beautiful couple looking back, and more importantly, looking ahead.

A lot can happen in a year. It did. Let this coming year be one of healing instead of sickness -- of renewal instead of rot.

As for D2 and Jonathan -- well, whatever comes -- they meet it together. And that is everything.

No comments: