Sunday, January 10, 2021

Is That Indeed A Light?

 What a tunnel we've been in, and are still in. The overarching reason has been the plague. An attempted overthrow of the US government wasn't very nice, either, but it appears that we're in for brighter times there irrespective of whether Trump leaves or is kicked out. I'm guessing he merely slinks away in 10 days.

Through persistence, I got Wifey and me on the list for vaccines at Baptist. They opened it up to those under 65 who are, well, fat asses. Wifey doesn't qualify, of course, so we'll have to fib about her BMI, but even with my weight loss, my BMI is still above 30, so I'm kosher.

Vaccines have been confounding, to say the least. I know I'm ageist, but the fact that my 96 year old mother in law is high on the list over a younger person who still contributes much to society has my gall. I understand -- the older, the more fatal COVID is. I also understand that our governor panders to the elderly -- they tend to vote for him.

Another bright spot is that D1 is on the list -- as a licensed health care professional. Her appointment is Tuesday in Little Haiti. She actually had an appointment last week, but it was a 3 mile long car line to get in, and she had to fetch her son, so she abandoned the effort. Hopefully she gets it done.

But the point is, if all goes well, by February's end, Wifey and I ought to be protected. As Dr. Barry noted, the disease has turned out to be, essentially, an annoyance to non issue to the young and healthy, so my anxiety level about our grown kids and baby grandson will be manageable.

And, plague aside, we had a lovely weekend. Friday D2 and the enormous puppy were here, so D2 could work while Miriam cleaned her apartment. I made her Daddy eggs for lunch, and we brought in some delicious Italian, from Tratoria Luna, for dinner. We ate outside as I participated in Dr. Eric's Zoom shabbat. 

D2 left, and I hosted a lovely Zoom happy hour -- with Scott and Sam in D.C. and Dr. Barry and Josh in the Pines. Eric and Dana joined in, too. We toasted the preservation of our nation -- Sam works for CNN in D.C. and gave us some great information. When I ended the meeting at 9, Wifey said "You really enjoyed that." Indeed I did.

Yesterday D1, Joey, and the grandson came over. It was D1's beloved Spaniel's 12th birthday, her Bark Mitzvah. She got some meat from a sandwich that had fallen -- a nice treat for the aging dog lady.

We took the humans to Pinecrest Gardens, formerly Parrot Jungle, and had a lovely time. Wifey had yearly memberships there for the Ds, and D1 had wonderful memories of the parrot shows. The little man loves the trees -- we joked he may grow up to be an Arborist.

Today is one of those Miami January days that are absurdly beautiful. I walked 6 miles in the cool morning air, and look forward to getting to my usual 10 later on. Maybe a fire in the pit awaits me tonight -- with a bowl of hot chili in the quiet, cool, evening air.

But at 2, we have a group Zoom. Jonathan's sister's baby naming -- little Naomi has joined the band. As Kenny noted, she's a baby conceived, carried, and delivered healthy during our worldwide pandemic. If she isn't a symbol of hope for the future, I don't know what is.

So, early in this new year in still crazy times, I have a lot of hope. May the Big Man bless baby Naomi and her family, and all of us, too.

No comments: