Thursday, October 24, 2019

The End of Bachelorhood

So as I expected, the week flew by, and yesterday Wifey returned. I was at the office, and she texted the text my whole family sends to each other from whatever tarmac we're on: "Taking off soon. Love you." The Ds responded "Safe flight. Love you, too." And my response was "Oh -- was that TODAY?" Wifey laughed, as I knew she would.

I did a little work, which consisted of reminding my man Stuart that no case is over until the settlement monies come in, and watched the flight app. Soon enough, I saw Wifey's AA Airbus was in Florida airspace, and I went down and fetched her SUV from the car wash man. He's there daily, and does a great job...

I drove to LeJeune, gassed up her SUV, which I had been using all week to save miles on my leased sedan, and then drove to Latin Cafe, my classic wait for the pick place, since it's a Dan Marino's football throw from the MIA terminal. I had lunch, and ordered a turkey sandwich to go. I was proud of myself -- I conducted the entire transaction in Spanish. "Sandwich de pavo, tomates y lechuga...sin mayo...por favor." The waitress giggled at my gringo attempt to be Ricardo Montalban...

Wifey texted she had landed, and then texted again when she was ready for pickup, and I swooped in and fetched her. She loved the sandwich, and the newly waxed and clean car. I told her these services were provided at no extra charge when someone is my wife...

We chatted about her trip -- the sense of humor one must keep when traveling with two other ladies of, well, a certain age...and we headed home. The special needs Spaniel and strange rescue dog were MOST happy to have their other human back -- there were licks and happy barks.

I needed a trip to Home Depot, to rectify a strange mystery -- our stepladder is missing. I'm thinking one of the painter's crew might have mistakenly taken it, but that simple creation serves a critical function in our house -- it allows me access to my liquor cabinet, which we placed high up when we moved in nearly 2 decades ago, since we had young kids. Of course, now that they're nearly 31 and 28, they have admitted that the placement had ZERO effect on their accessing my stash for parties. I seem to recall my vodka going through a stage where it seemed watered down...

Anyway, I also suggested we visit my ancient suegra, and we did -- fighting Kendall traffic to make it to the Palace. We arrived while the old lady was not yet in bed, and we wheeled her to the gazebo for a lovely visit. She was in a fine mood, though asked me 5 times whether I was still in practice with Paul, and, when showed a picture of D1 in a TV interview, asked whether she had a Spanish boyfriend. No, I reminded her each time -- she had a wonderful Colombian born husband...

But, just 2 months shy of 95, she shows zero signs of wasting away. I'm guessing we have a near centenarian on our hands...

From there, we made it to Home Depot, and I bought a replacement stepladder, as well as a nightlight, and a gift card for my son in law, who turns 32 Friday. He LOVES Home Depot, and I know the card will be well used.

And then it was home. It's lovely to have Wifey back. The dogs think so, and I do, too...

No comments: