Sunday, October 20, 2019

Bachelorhood Continues

So I'm making the best of the single life -- an eight day stretch of Wifey away. She left Tuesday for ATL, and then yesterday, joined by pal Elizabeth from Orlando, Edna drove them all up to Asheville.They're due to enjoy some Fall weather and color until Tuesday, though so far it's been gray and raining.

Thursday night I went over to D2's --Jonathan was working late. We walked a half block to Tigertail and Mary, a new-ish outpost of Michael Schwartz's restaurant. We're fans -- been going to his Genuine Food for years, and this new place has essentially the same menu -- and a lovely location on the first floor of a new, Koolhaas designed building. We feasted on fish and scallops and oysters, and caught up on her renewed Miami life. We brought some of Michael's famous roasted chicken home for Jonathan -- he loved it.

I offered to leave as soon as he walked in, as I recalled the days I would come home after a long day as a young associate lawyer, and my in laws would be camped out in our first house -- I humbly hosted them, but really wished I could strip off my clothes and enjoy some quiet. But Jonathan assured me times had changed. Plus, I don't bark at him like my father in law used to bark at me -- may he rest in peace...

Friday the roofers came -- to fix some rotting wood on an overhang out by the pool. The dogs were none too pleased having them outside, but I explained to the spoiled, special needs Spaniel and strange rescue dog that the roofers were acceptable guests.

That evening, I WAZED my way through Miami traffic to 58th and Biscayne , to meet D1 and Joey at an Italian place called Baiocco -- which opened in a renovated Colonial style house just outside the Morningside gates. It was lovely -- owned and operated by Milanese people -- with lots of actual Italian diners happily chatting away. I met the owner -- he owns restaurants in Milan and Rome -- this was his first in the US, and he got a zoning change allowing him to open in a house.

We feasted well --and D1, who really knows food, approved. Joey's birthday is next week, and so D1 sneaked away and had some ice cream brought over. She already surprised him -- last weekend, she bought him a flying lesson at Opa Locka airport, and Joey told me of his adventure.

Saturday I stopped by Mega Liquors for tailgate vodka. They open at 9, but the owner let me in a few minutes early -- and then I fetched Kenny in South Miami for the early tailgate. Norman had set things up nicely, and was heavily into a dominoes game when we arrived. We drank, even though it was 10:30 am, and feasted on breakfast foods, though Rob brought some maccaroni and cheese with smoked brisket -- the man is a master...

And then the game was played. The Canes were 18 point favorites, and, well, they stunk. They are systemically bad this year -- terrible coaching and play. They missed 3 easy field goals -- using two different inept kickers -- and the game went into the saddest overtime I can recall -- we all KNEW they'd lose, and they did.

Maybe all the excitement about the new coach, Manny Diaz, was misplaced. I guess we'll find out next year -- this year is already a failure -- team will be lucky to have a winning record.

Dr. Barry and I talked afterwards of the folly of allowing our moods to be set by the exploits of a group of 18-22 year olds. Maybe, I suggested, we ought to start following Nobel Prize winners instead, and protesting calls from the Committee.  "Damn it -- Goldberg DESERVED Chemistry this year -- you losers!"

Nah. The main thing is the tailgates, and we have two more to go. We host Louisville at home, and then have an "away" game at Marlins Park. We're playing FIU, and their on campus stadium was too small to accommodate the game, so we'll make a pilgrimage to the site of our old glory, the Orange Bowl, and watch the team there.

We Cane Club members got offers to park in the garages. What??? And lose out on the lots of yore -- where we were promised "No block-ey" for an extra $5...

They will be fun times.

Anyway, after the game, Kenny mentioned that Joelle, his wife, was flying home from SC. They are both experts in Child Abuse. Both of their boys turned out great despite having parents who specialize in that. Ha.

Just as I was headed to the cell lot, Joelle called -- she was waiting outside, so we fetched her in a smooth, Seinfeldian "pick." They took me to dinner at Gringo's, in South Miami, and then I dropped them off. I got to see their youngest, Nathan, home from Swarthmore on a Fall break. He's such an impressive young man -- graduating in May -- and looking for his first job. His degree is in Engineering -- I'm sure he'll have his pick of spots...

I told him to NOT apply -- just get his degree, and move home for awhile -- the Rodney Dangerfiled advice from "Back to School." Nah -- he was anxious to start his post school life...



Today I think I may fire up the SUV and head down to the Redlands, and Angel's Hatchery. It's the place I buy most of the fish for my pond. I last bought some over two years ago -- after Hurricane Irma. It may be time to bring some new koi to Villa Wifey...

Just three more sleeps, as the Brits say, and then Wifey is due home. We have a busy weekend coming up. Joey's birthday is Friday, and his parents are hosting shabbat for him. And then Saturday, we'll be driving back to deep South Miami-Dade for a wedding.

Wifey's very long time friend Jeannette's girl Samantha is getting married. She and her boyfriend Jose have been together since high school -- and Sam is now, I think, about 35. They finally decided to make it legal, and picked one of the venues in a former farm house -- Homestead has about 10 of these now, and we attended a lovely wedding a few years back for our friend Rob's boy Matthew in a different spot.

D1 and Joey are attending -- D2 and Jonathan have a conflict.  We don't see Jeannette and Bob or their family often these days -- but it'll be great to catch up, and share in this joyous event.

Now about those wretched Canes...


No comments: