Thursday, October 10, 2019

And Just Like That, 5779's A Wrap

So yesterday was Yom Kippur, and for about the 4th year in a row, I stayed away from shul. I felt a bit guilty about it, but I never really feel I connect there, so I exercised my rights as a buffet table Jew, and celebrated my own way...

Tuesday night, Wifey and I went to LOL, and had our last supper before the fast together. Wifey does NOT fast, on account of having low blood pressure and low sodium, which causes her to pass out, but I did it.

We came home after sunset, and I went online. First, I listened to the great Jan Peerce sing Kol Nidre. My Dad really dug Peerce, who was a fine singer from his era, and the 1960 recording was sublime. Then I watched the online stream of our local VERY reform, VERY rich synagogue, Beth Am. They had a wonderful cellist and pianist playing Kol Nidre music -- it was really top notch. It was also, to my eye, the most goyish thing to ever see in a synagogue.

I watched some more, as the pretty red haired rabbi spoke. She seemed to equate ALL religious zealotry as equally bad. I totally get it -- women rabbis aren't even recognized by the Orthodox, and so they tend to be very anti Haredi. But to this non observant guy, if I WAS observant, it would be full on -- beard and all, so I switched off the red head before she got a chance to knock Bibi Netanyahu...

I finished off my Kol Nidre watching Neil Diamond sing in his remake of "The Jazz Singer." I loved the clip -- with perhaps the WASPiest of all actors, Sir Lawrence Olivier, playing the Rabbi Dad...

Yom Kippur, my house was decidedly non Yom Kipperish...The yard guys were there, our house cleaner Miriam was over with her grandson, and Wifey had a fellow from Art Express hanging some art she had had re-framed. After making my obligatory joke to him about his being well hung, I fled.

I drove over to Matheson Hammock, and walked to the water. I spent a goodly amount of time talking to my departed parents, Sunny and Hy. I brought them up to date about the Ds and their men -- including an upcoming big, fat, Venezuelan wedding in just over three months.

The water was beautiful. A great whiter heron appeared. When we committed my Mom's cremains to the sea, illegally, since we were on shore, a group of white butterflies appeared. I took both appearances as a good sign, from Beyond...

I wanted to go visit my ancient suegra, but Wifey was too tired. It occurred to me I haven't seen the old lady in nearly 2 months. We'll rectify that this weekend.

Speaking of grandmothers, and weddings...last night we booked a happy hour the evening before D2's wedding -- in a way cool bar called B, in the Betsy Hotel.  I used to visit my grandmother Anna right around the block -- she wintered at the Edward (she pronounced it EdVARD) Hotel. Back then, South Beach was the Lord's Waiting Room. Now it is much, much younger. Times change...

Wifey and I left for the break fast, at D1 and Joey's sister in law's mom's place, at Grove Isle. Susie and Rick are gracious hosts, and we sat around eating salads and blintzes and talking of good cheer-related things.  D2 and Jonathan "broke their fast" in Aventura -- with Jonathan's family.

Tonight, Wifey and I are hosting a judicial fundraiser for our friend Joel's sister Dawn, a sitting Circuit Court Judge. I thought my days of doing that active lawyer kind of thing were over, but Dawn grew up in Pinecrest, and asked if I would do an event so she could appear in her native 'hood. We agreed -- cocktails and desserts.

I had called a caterer, and learned the party would cost over $2K. Dawn would rather have the contribution, of course, and so Wifey bought desserts at Aldi and Publix, and I will make a run to Mega Liquors later.

Wifey was going to head out Saturday, to spend the night with her friend Linda up in Vero, but that got cancelled. Her friend Cara's boyfriend had a medical issue.

Canes are tomorrow night. Mirta is on, and I got a text from Dr. Barry asking for a ride, so the three amigos will be sitting in I-95 rush hour traffic together. Maybe the Canes won't stink so badly this time.

And Wifey IS leaving -- Tuesday. We booked her flight last night -- Atlanta for a few days with her BFF Edna, and then they're joined by Elizabeth -- the threesome will then drive to Asheville for a Fall Women's Getaway. Wifey comes home 8 days later.

I really dig playing bachelor for a week or so. My signature move is dinner at the bar at Shula's -- martini, and Sports Center on TV.  Plus, the special needs Spaniel, and strange rescue dog are fine companions.

So the new Jewish year is upon us. We know we made the Book of Life -- for the first days, at least.  We have that going for us...

No comments: