Monday, October 28, 2019

My Inner Sloth

When the Ds were little, we took them on an Eco trip to Costa Rica. We hired different guides, all of whom had Biology degrees from US universities, and they would explain the amazing fauna and flora to us, as we traveled from the Caribbean Coast to the Pacific.

One of our favorite animals was the sloth, which we saw in several different rain forests. Those critters are, of course, famous for their slow moving laziness. Our guide explained that one could take an entire day to climb us a tree for a very long nap. I remember thinking, at the time, that on some days, that would be my spirit animal.

I also explained to the Ds that some humans lived that way their entire lives. At the time, my sister was married to one -- an extremely slow moving fellow who never held a single job for more than a few weeks -- getting fired for reasons including one I will never forget. He was working construction out in a National Park, and claimed his supervisor was jealous of him because he (my thankfully former brother in law) was far more handsome than the boss. This caused great laughter in the rest of the family. "Yeah - you really swing a hammer well, and you're helping tear down this old structure, but the other guys are giving you the eye too much, Mr. Tom Cruise, so ya gotta go."

Well, yesterday I decided early on, and indeed acquitted well, a project of my own inner sloth.

It had been a fun and eventful weekend -- Friday night birthday for my son in law Joey, Saturday am workout and breakfast with D2 and Jonathan, and a nice, long wedding down in the Redland for an old family friend.

And -- the weather is unseasonably hot -- still Summer like, which in Miami is saying something. So I came close to never leaving the house.

Alas, Wifey had a package waiting out by the gate, and her back doesn't allow her to lift anything heavier than our little Special Needs Spaniel, so indeed I was dispatched to carry that in, along with the Sunday Herald. But that was it.

I read, and reviewed financial stuff, and then attempted to watch CBS "Sunday Morning," but POTUS pre-empted to gloat about how HE had found and shot an ISIS leader. I still remember his tweeting about how Obama was wrong to claim credit for killing Bin Laden -- it was all the work of the SEALS. But I guess the worm has now turned, and the fat 70 something spoke as if he chased the bastard into a tunnel where he (the terrorist) pulled the cord on a suicide vest.

Anyway, soon enough it was time for football, and I watched games back to back -- first actually cheering for the Jets to beat the Jaguars, so the Jets wouldn't threaten the Fins quest to be the WORST team this year, giving them the #1 pick. Nah -- the Jets were awful.

Wifey then put on some classic movie or another, and a few stray "Twilight Zone" episodes, and ordered in lunch, salads from "The Big Tomato."

Wifey took a long nap, during which I caught up on the phone with my brother Paul, who was in NYC visiting 1/2 his grandkids after a Western Mass visit to his stepson up in school. We hadn't spoken for half the week, and needed to time to solve world problems and plan some strategy on future cases.

I returned to see Wifey up, and then I took MY turn -- an epic nap, of several hours, on the couch with two dogs guarding my slumber.

Before I knew it, it was nearing 9 pm. I went upstairs -- my version of the sloth climbing the tree, very slowly.

Today back to the office, and another typical, much more active week. But my inner sloth lives and thrives. Nice to let him out every once in awhile.

No comments: