Sunday, September 1, 2019

Slogging Through Labor Day

So yesterday was a good one to do a lot of nothing. I rested my strained lower back, and Wifey rested her lungs -- still coughing from a bad cold 3 weeks ago. Tomorrow she'll get a chest x ray to make sure no "walking pneumonia," which may require an inhaler.  Walking pneumonia is a condition in our family lure.

Precocious D1 must have been 8 or so, having just skipped into second grade from first. She had a bad cough, and her pediatrician, Dr. Sanchez, listened to her chest and said she had walking pneumonia. D1 was horrified. "That's what killed President William Henry Harrison after only a month in office!!!!!"

Dr. Sanchez and Wifey explained that was way before antibiotics, she was young and strong, etc...we knew she was an unusual child .

Anyway -- we never ventured past our front gates. I read a lot and watched a great deal of college football -- especially my second favorite team, the Noles, blow 2 leads and lose to Boise State. The game was scheduled for night time in Jacksonville, and moved, due to Dorian, back to Tally in the afternoon. I figured the western players would wilt in the heat and humidity. The opposite proved true. I'm looking most forward to my REAL team, the Canes, going to Tally and beating them up and down the field...

Up north, D2 and Jonathan are spending a classic NYC Labor Day -- they're headed to the Hamptons to stay with a friend's family. I spoke to D2 this am -- on an east bound LIRR voyage. I'm happy for them -- glad they're not here yet, among the tensosity of an approaching storm.

Today I left Wifey on the dog infested nap couch and headed to Wagon's West, and a seat at the counter. I had my salad and soup, and brought a tuna sandwich home for Wifey.

Dorian is a real monster -- winds stronger than Andrew, in '92, and that was terrifying to go through.  I feel for the folks in Grand Bahama -- we always had great times in the Bahamas, and I had some business there, too.

In other bad news, more died in Texas from the crazed shooter yesterday. I know that doesn't narrow it down enough. But some loser had a problem with a traffic stop, and started shooting people on the highway in Odessa. I've never been to that part of Texas, but we had friends from there -- met them on a Med cruise in the 90s. They were friends with "W," and said he'd be president someday. I honestly hadn't even heard of him then.

So it's a bad news weekend -- except for us in Miami , storm-wise.

It'll be nice when Dorian moves out to sea, and I can be concerned only with the Hurricanes playing North Carolina...

No comments: