Saturday, September 21, 2019

Getting the Band Back Together -- Full Squad

Several years ago, my son in law Joey created a text group for Wifey, me, the Ds, and their two men, and named it "Full Squad." I love that name, for all it means and implies to me -- our precious Ds and their wonderful life partners.

Last night, Wifey and I drove to North Miami Beach, for a small celebration for huge news. A dear friend started a company to do research into a rare childhood disease, and the company just signed a deal with a major pharmaceutical company which injects tens of millions of dollars into the start up. We were floored, but our young friend is so humble, there were no speeches or talk of the company -- just pizza and beer and wine with fellow angel investors. It was lovely.

We left in the rain and drove south to Coconut Grove. D1 and Joey had dinner with D2 and Jonathan, and Joey, a handy man extraordinaire, was installing the new TV for the newly returned Miamians.

It was a simple scene -- Wifey doing web searches for lamps, and the Ds joking with each other and her. The men drinking cocktails and installing the TV -- Joey has done 40, and gave his disclaimer -- no guarantee it wouldn't fall. It wouldn't -- I checked the butterfly fasteners he used and knew the thing would hold ME -- let alone a 20 pound TV.

And I took a moment and just drank it in. I knew there will come hard times -- rain falling into each of our lives. But for this precious moment -- the Full Squad was together -- enjoying each other -- feeling the gratitude that comes from our love and support for each other.

My in laws were loving people -- especially to the Ds. But they came from a world of horror, the Holocaust, that really prevented them from understanding the subtleties of normal behavior. In other words -- they were over bearing.

I swore to myself, that if I was ever blessed with sons in laws, I would be just the opposite: all support and fun, and requesting little in return -- other than the love and respect given to my Ds. I think I have succeeded -- I'm one pretty amazing suegro.

And last night, in the warm glow of the lights that turned on and off (D2 and Jonathan have a list of quirky defects in their new place that need to be fixed) I was one grateful, happy Daddy in the USA. May it continue.

Today I'm headed to my first home Canes game. I missed last week for a memorable wedding. My usual game date, Mirta, is up in New England with her boyfriend, and Wifey has begged off. So I'll drive up to Joe Robbie myself, and wander among Norman and Mike's tailgates. 

The game is supposed to be an easy one -- the Central Michigan Chippewas -- and I look most forward to the tailgate and game.

Tomorrow we'll visit the ancient suegra, who reported to Wifey she probably won't be able to make the big, fat, Venezuelan wedding in January -- she is just too weak and tired. We'll see -- she WILL be 95 by then, but I think she may rally.

Afterwards we have dinner plans with Kenny and Joelle in the Gables.  All in all -- my kind of weekend.

But the starring attraction is the whole of the Full Squad back together in the 305. If there's something better -- I don't know what it is.



No comments: