Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Dadber/DadMove

So the past days have been all about moving D2 and her man back home to hot, muggy Miami. They arrived early Sunday night, which is saying something, as D2 has a history of delayed and canceled flights dating back to her college years. But not this time -- they were waiting for me at curbside, and we came home to a very happy Wifey and 2 dogs.

Monday I drove them to a dealership, and they leased a car, and from there to the apartment on Bayshore Drive. In one day they had a car and an apartment -- not too shabby.

Deliveries came, and schlepping from Villa Wifey to the Grove. We all worked hard, and fairly quickly all the boxes that were UPSed to our house were emptied and either stored with us or moved to the new place.

Tuesday am, I took the transplants to workout with my man Enrique, and Wifey was due to help D1 carry props into a TV studio for an interview. I got emergency texts and calls -- Wifey's car wouldn't start. So I left D2 and Jonathan at the gym, and called AAA.

And then there was a bit of Switzerland in Miami: the AAA man was there in, no kidding, 10 minutes. He got to the house faster than I did, and had already popped the hood and diagnosed a dead battery -- Wifey's car is over 3 years old, and batteries in the Tropics rarely last that long.

I sent Wifey on her way in my car, and chatted with Jason. I asked if he was like Jimmy John's -- which has freakishly fast delivery. He laughed and said no, but weekday mornings he cruised Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay for the daily dead battery or flat tire issues, and loved to have people on their way quickly.  It worked -- I paid for the new battery, and then was able to return to the gym to fetch D2 -- Jonathan had to leave early to meet the WiFi guy at the apartment.

D2 and I had a lovely brunch, and then stopped in a liquor store for me to provision their new place. Now cocktails can be served on their lovely balcony overlooking the park and Bay.

Today, Jonathan left early to see his family up in Aventura, and DadBer and DadMover continued -- we schlepped more stuff to the apartment, and D2 was set to go back to work -- remotely. She will do her thing via FaceTime. Ah, what a brave new world...

But some things stay the same -- like the need to schlep when you move. And I was privileged to help out.

Tonight the Ds will be together with their men -- mounting the new TV and assembling furniture. That warms me more than just about anything.

DadBer rides again!

No comments: