Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Breakfast

I really, really enjoy breakfast. It wasn't always so -- as a kid I skipped it all the time, but since adulthood I savor the classic breakfast foods and the whole feel of a good breakfast place.

My go-to is Lots of Lox, which has been opened with essentially the same staff for over 30 years. Dr. Barry and his family also love it -- they happily drive all the way from Pembroke Pines to join us there -- we've shared milestones, like his boy Scott's farewell to college, and, four years later, his welcome home after he graduated.

Roasters and Toasters is also good, but I started avoiding them when their prices started to rival NYC. Norman like to say you have to sell a kidney to eat there. But, alas, they now have a breakfast special: 2 eggs, coffee, a side, and bagel, for $7.99. Today I enjoyed that very deal.

The painter has been coming early,and I like to be out of the house by the time he arrives. So I fetched my Herald, and headed off to Roasters.  Ivan, the manager from Eastern Europe, greeted me -- "Where you been, my brother?" I told him I have been promiscuous as a deli consumer -- he laughed.

I read the paper and enjoyed my food. There was a couple across from me -- clearly having an affair. They were caressing each other in a way people of a certain age never do when they're married. And, when it got quiet, I overheard some of their conversation which confirmed my suspicion...

Yesterday I had an exquisite solo breakfast, too, at Bagel Emporium. And there was an added benefit: I texted D2 and asked if she wanted anything -- her new Grove apartment is right on my way to work. She did -- an omelette -- and I joked that I no longer bring her the Emporium's signature black and white cookies.

Well -- I bought a box anyway, and met D2 in her lobby -- she had a call to make minutes later. I gave the cookies to Fernando -- the concierge who has worked at the building for 29 years -- he was very appreciative.  I can tell that D2 and Jonathan like him already -- he enjoys having young folks living in a building of mostly older, long time Miamians...

I had a great event at work, too. A few years ago, I wrote a blog about Murray, a beloved retired judge and mediator, and his daughter learned of his death through the blog -- she and he were estranged.

She asked if I knew a good lawyer who might handle her claim for a share of his estate -- and I referred her. Last week, the case settled -- for life changing money for her and her special needs son, and my firm was entitled to a modest co-counsel fee. 

But most importantly -- I had made a connection that was beneficial to both sides -- something that gratifies me greatly.

I like to think that Murray's soul is happy --even though estranged, at some level he probably wished to help his daughter -- which is why, I think, he never drew up a will. 

The true Days of Awe approach. As D1 pointed out, we have Colombia on Sunday, and Venezuela on Monday -- meaning we will celebrate with the Colombian suegros sunday, and the Venezuelan ones Monday.

I have MUCH to thank the Big Man about this year -- though I always thank Him daily.

And breakfast is also something I always enjoy and never take for granted.

No comments: