Sunday, September 15, 2019

It's A Nice Day For...

So I'm missing the Canes home opener today -- something I try NOT to do. But my friend Steve the Crazy Cop's daughter Erin is getting married, and that trumps (can I still use that word?) the Canes. Plus, the game is against Bethune Cookman, a school I DO have an interest in.

I care about BCU because I own tax free muni bonds they issued, which are now in technical default. I broker who was NOT a muni maven sold them to me several years ago, and BCU thereafter screwed up the dormitory project the bonds backed. BCU is in danger of losing accreditation, which will close the school, and render my bonds worthless. I'm hoping that doesn't happen.

Erin and D2 met in kindergarten, and became best friends. I met her parents that way -- throughout first and second and third grade, she and D2 were inseparable, and as much as I was the great Dad, Steve was the fun one. He knew The Rock from his days at UM, and Erin and D2 got to meet him when Steve had His Rockness come to the Miami Dade DARE graduation at the OB. Fun times.

Well, D2 and Erin grew apart, but my friendship with her Dad endured. About 10 years ago he and Sue divorced, and not amicably. But Steve, like me, keeps old and loyal friends, and so Wifey and I will go today to Temple Judea, to see Erin marry David, who is, by all accounts, a solid young man.

Last night Steve was invited to a rehearsal dinner, but chose not to attend. He was hosting John and Lynn as wedding house guests, but he was home alone, so I went over for a few L'chaims to his daughter and her intended. John and Lynn got home, and we caught up on years gone by.

We have to be at the Reform shul at 5. Wifey is still recovering from a Dickensian cough, but thinks she can muster the energy to attend.

Meanwhile, I had a classic RWP (rich white person) problem occur -- over my waterfall. It hasn't worked in years, and I called my pond man, Paul, for a referral. He sent over Nick, an affable young fellow, who gave me an estimate of $1200 to fix the thing -- new pump, disconnect from the sprinkler system I no longer use, etc...

I came home yesterday as Nick was finishing -- the thing was trickling -- sort of a waterfall with benign prostatic hyperplasia. Nick explained he needed to come back and patch up the basin, oh -- and by the way -- I probably need an electrician to replace the outdoor breakers and timer...

Still, he set it to go on a few hours each am and pm, and it was nice to sit by it. But, alas, when I returned from Steve's at 11, the thing was still running, so I shut off the switch. This am, I thought I would read the paper waterfall-side. Ha. Not so fast. The pump hummed but wouldn't go on. I texted Nick, and he said, yeah, need new electrical. So -- so much for the $1200 estimate to fix the thing -- it'll cost closer to $3K, I figure. I may just leave it be -- the waterfall is not THAT important to me. But, as I said, RWP problem.

Meanwhile, up the coast, D2 and Jonathan will be spending their last night in Greenwich Village as sabbatical New Yorkers. They have a one way flight home tomorrow night. DadBer will be ready -- even if delays mean the flight arrives early Monday am.

And, we have to be in Miami Lakes at 9, to sign papers for their first vehicle --a Jeep Grand Cherokee. From there they have to deliver checks for the new Grove apartment, and then await the arrival of furniture. They'll be staying with us until that time -- I look forward to making them breakfast and bringing them morning coffee.

But for tonight -- a lovely young woman begins her adult life. John joked that Steve is happiest about taking Erin off his insurance plan -- a savings of $670 per month.  He would gladly pay forever -- as tough as he is, I think there may be a few tears from the macho cop tonight.

Sunrise, sunset -- the most apt song there is.

No comments: