Wednesday, June 19, 2019

The Homecoming

So it's been four years since D2 decamped to NYC after getting her Master's from UF. I'm excited for her -- if I have any life regrets, it's that I never got to live in Manhattan for any period of time. But, since I hope she someday returns to the 305, I call her stay there an extended sabbatical. And each time she returns home, it's a big deal for us.

Yesterday I had a fine workout with my guru, Enrique. D2 has met him, and worked out with him, too, and we've planned a Dad/Daughter session on Friday am. After a nap against a backdrop of heavy rain and thunderstorms, I roused Wifey and we headed to MIA to fetch our girl.

The weather caused a delay, and so we parked at the Latin Cafe on LeJeune awaiting word that D2's bag was there. She is a young woman with manifold wonderful qualities -- packing efficiently isn't one of them. For her 8 days home, she had a suitcase marked by Delta as "Heavy" that many people would take for a month tour.

MIA was packed. It was a Tuesday in June, but it didn't matter. The weather made it worse, as did, I learned, the impending arrival of The Donald, due in for the night after kicking off his campaign for reelection in Orlando.  Still, we crawled through Arrivals, and found our girl. There was much hugging.

I drove us to dinner in the Gables. It was after 8, and D2 approved healthy restaurants in Pinecrest close early. We walked to Hillstone, the former Houston's. It was packed -- the young hostess gaily said "45 minutes," and I gaily said "Not for us." D2 spotted a My Ceviche across Miracle Mile, and reminded us that D1 had done a lot of work with them, and so we ate healthy and delicious bowls as the place was shutting down for the night.

We started for home, and D2 got an impish look -- did we want to do something crazy her first night home?  We were game. Turns out she LOVES the newly opened Milam's Market in Sunniland -- she's a foodie like her sister -- and so we stopped in for some late night grocery exploration. We picked fresh fruit, and gourmet cheese, and she stood in the aisle and looked around and said "I love this place." And all was good.

I paid at the checkout, joking it was expensive to have her home, and she pointed out that she only wanted fresh fruit, and Wifey and I filled the cart with many other items. She was correct.

We drove home and were greeted by the borrowed pet bunny -- plopped in his night time spot on our driveway. D2 took his picture, and as we unloaded groceries, was happily greeted by Bo, the Special Needs Spaniel, and Vienna, the strange rescue dog.

We sat on the couch and D2 and Bo reminisced about their time together in Gainesville -- Fall of '14, as Bo helped his girl get her MS, with Aunt Ashley living with them. And now, of 4 best UF friends, Ali is married, Catherine is due at the altar in November, D2 in January, and Ashley still waiting to take the plunge with her man, the son of a preacher man. Really...

The AC was happily on last night, but there was a sweet warmth in Villa Wifey. D2 is home. I am one very happy Daddy in the USA.

No comments: