Monday, June 24, 2019

A Movie Ticket Should Equal One Hour of Minimum Wage

Wifey, who studied Film in college, always told me that -- the movies were the great common man entertainment, and historically a ticket equaled the going minimum hour wage. Indeed, I recall as a child a ticket being somewhere in the high $2 range -- a system designed so even the lowest wage earner could share in Hollywood's latest offerings.

Well, somewhere along the line, that changed -- unless minimum wage is now $27 per hour.  Yesterday we decided to go on a family movie trip -- something we typically only do on Xmas Day, to celebrate Wifey's birthday. But D2 had been staying with D1, and we planned to meet at Brickell Citi Centre (you know it's expensive based on the spelling) to see the Elton John biopic "Rocket Man."

In my typical frugality, I would park at my office and walk the two blocks, but yesterday was a record hot Miami day (95 degrees) and opted to not arrive at the theater soaking wet. So I parked underground, which is actually pretty cool -- the Centre has the only below street parking -- they built the thing by freezing the ground water, pouring the waterproof (hopefully) concrete shell, and then letting the ice thaw. So far, the enormous project is still standing.

I bought the tickets at the super luxury theater -- $27 each. It's true -- the place is a level up from the usual luxe theater IPic. IPic is Business Class -- the one at the Centre is First Class.  The Ds arrived, and the waitress came to our seats. Wifey got a cappucinno, D2 a shrimp salad, and I got an Absolut on ice. That bill was about $70.  Since parking was "validated" each car cost $12, instead of $16. So the price of a movie date for 4 of us was just over $200.

Then, we went to the food court next to Saks. D1 got two salads and a veggie soup to go, for her and Joey. That was about $40. It's true -- the salad is amazingly fresh, and all the ingredients were top drawer, but Brickell Citi Centre is no place for schleppers.

And -- it was PACKED. Most of the shoppers appeared to be wealthy foreigners -- South American and European.  I guess to them the prices are part of the trip.

Meanwhile -- the movie was indeed entertaining.  Wifey loved it, D2 and I liked it, and D1 thought it was arty but could have been seen on TV.

And most importantly -- it was a delightful family day out. But next time maybe we'll avoid the Concorde of theaters...

Early this am, I waited for first light, and took a 2.2 mile walk. I have pledged to D2 I will step up my exercise game, and step down my eating game. She really wants Wifey and me around -- and in a young-ish state.

As I was completing my second lap, a Lexus pulled out, with a neighborhood yenta inside. She pulled down her window, and I walked over to say hello. Her first words were "Can you believe the way they (pointing to house across the street) are cutting down the trees? Don't they know this is NOT West Kendall!" She said the place name like it was Hades...

I nodded, wished her a fine day, and chuckled to myself. Every neighborhood needs its malcontents. We have one driving a Lexus...

Today, D2 and I are headed to Brickell together. I need to see the new office set up, and D2 is meeting her friend Tara for lunch. Afterwards, D2 will drop me at Christy's -- Wifey and I are meeting Kenny and Joelle, for Kenny and my 40th high school graduation anniversary. I already told D2 I plan to avoid the enormous prime rib -- Wifey and I will split a small steak and the fish...

40 years ago today I walked across the stage. At the house afterwards, my Mom took a picture of me and my Dad. He was handing me his wallet -- symbolizing the college tuition he was about to pay. He was beaming.

I beam at the thought of taking care of my family. But maybe next time that taking care involves a movie -- we'll stick to Business Class.

No comments: