Thursday, June 13, 2019

Escape to Maine

So it's been a rough week here in the 305. Last weekend D1 felt really poorly, and Joey took her to JMH's ED. I typically don't share tales of family illness, but since D1 posted about the experience on her practice's blog, it's no secret.

Anyway, she had a bunch of tests, and her care was overseen by an additional father she has, Dr. Barry. He has long spoken of a Dr. Y, a man from Lebanon, and he became D's attending. When he met her, he said "You belong to me now." We all got teary eyed -- how rare it is to hear that, these days, from a physician.

It's funny -- we're Jews, and our people have had some tough times with Arabs, especially since the late 40s. And two of the finest people I have met in my life, both doctors, are both Arab Muslims. The first was also a doctor, Dr. K, who took care of my family years ago. She was very competent, but more importantly had a pure heart, and made some scary times much easier. And now Dr. Y, who Barry tells me is cut from the same cloth.

Joey sensed his character and aura, too. Joey's namesake grandfather is also of Middle Eastern background, though a Sephardic Jew. When he met Dr. Y, he reminded Joey immediately of his beloved, late grandfather. Funny how life makes connections.

Anyway -- Dr. Barry, despite his self deprecation, is a major big shot at JMH, and it was wonderful to meet young residents and fellows who revered him.  The care at JMH, and physical plant, were superb. I couldn't imagine finer care anywhere.

It turned out that, fortunately, D1 just had a bad stomach flu, but, Big Man forbid it would have been a more complicated issue, she was in exactly the right place.

Anyway -- Wifey was called into service -- getting to the hospital to D1 sit so Joey could go to work. Joey refuses to ever leave his wife alone in a hospital -- any hospital. Wifey and I aren't sure how, among our amazing luck in life, we got a son in law like him, but we did. So Wifey drove all over Miami Dade for her girl.

But we could use a break -- especially from the Miami heat, which is upon us like a hot, wet blanket. Enter my friend since junior high school, Kenny.

Kenny has lived an exciting life -- flight surgeon on an aircraft carrier during the Gulf War -- living all over the nation as a Navy doctor. He married a brilliant and accomplished woman, and they have two great sons. And yet, Kenny is very excited -- about a house he and Joelle have been renovating on a lake in Maine. They have built a true beauty, and, after living with Wifey and me for several days at a rental in Sonoma, have realized they can tolerate us as houseguests.  So I've booked a stay there next month, around the time of my 58th birthday.

I've never been much of a hobby guy, but love being around hobby guys. For example, cars. I drive a boring Lexus sedan, which was once properly described to me as an appliance -- dependable and boring. That's just what I want in my vehicle --it gets me where I want, the AC works, and maybe I even have the luxury of satellite radio.

But I love going to car shows with guys into cars. Their passion is infectious.

It's the same about houses. I'm pretty sure Wifey and I will never own a second home again.  I'd rather rent -- even for a long term. But being around folks who are truly passionate about their houses and their renovations is a real kick. And we'll get to experience that next month.

Speaking of Kenny -- he's a radiologist -- a specialty Barry's mentor at UF, Dr. Hill, called "shadow merchants."  Just this am, I was out walking, and ran into a very nice neighbor, an internist named Feanny. We were talking about getting away for the Summer, and I mentioned Ken, and asked if he knew him from Baptist Health. Indeed -- he had never met Kenny, but well knew his name from radiology reports. So it turns out that indeed the shadow merchants toil...in the shadows...

So -- the cooler temps of Maine await. We'll fly into Portland, a city I've driven past but never really visited. Apparently they have lots of craft breweries and cool shops. From there, we'll get to the lake house -- I'm already calling it Golden Pond.  Kenny and Joelle bought a pontoon boat, and promised sunset booze floats around the lake. Sounds divine...

Speaking of divine -- D2 and Jonathan live in Greenwich Village, and each year, at the end of June, get stuck on their street because of the annual Pride Parade. They live very close to the epicenter of the gay pride world -- the Stonewall Bar. This year it's the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall riots, and they're expecting 4.5 million visitors to float down to Greenwich Village. I won a night at the Ritz Carlton in Midtown in an annual charity auction, and hopefully that will be their escape hatch during the craziness coming at the end of the month.

D2 has asked me to stop using politically incorrect descriptions of the event. I tried to comply, but I can't.  I always think of the aforementioned mentor to Barry, Dr. Hill of UF, who called older single patients "spinster-type women."  I wish I had met Dr. Hill...

So if all goes to plan, Wifey and I will be flying to Portland, via LGA, in a bit over a month. It'll be nice to cool down a bit, in more ways than one.

No comments: