Friday, June 14, 2019

He Moves in Mysterious Ways

So yesterday, Rabbi Yossi called to invite Wifey and me for shabbat dinner. We hadn't seen our dear, religious friends in too long. Could we come?

I called Wifey, and she said, sure -- we were free. That set in motion a series of Seinfeldian events. I told the Rabbi we would love to come. He then called my brother Paul and his fiancee Patricia to invite them as well. The night was set.

But wait. Wifey had previously told her friend Elizabeth, down in Lauderdale at a medical conference, that we would drive there to meet her for dinner. She was staying with us Saturday night, after she planned to attend her sister's suegra's 99th birthday party in the Grove. Wifey forgot.

She remembered, but by now we had agreed. So she invited her friend to join us -- with the Rabbi's permission. But Elizabeth ,hating the traffic, didn't wish to drive to Miami from Lauderdale, and so declined. Drama ensued.

But we went. And it was a lovely night -- Rabbi and his amazing wife were wonderful hosts. They had Bar Mitzvahed D1, and then the Rabbi married her. They Bar Mitzvaed D2, and will marry her in January. We go back nearly a quarter of a century.

6 of their 9 kids were in attendance, including the oldest boy, a rising 3 L at UF Law. He gave me a Gator colored kippah to wear. I put it on, knowing no photos could be taken on shabbat.

We drank. We sang, We ate. It was lovely.

Nechama's BFF was there -- a rebetzin from Michigan, who founded the Friendship Circle. Basie was amazing -- in her 40s, with 2 grandkids already, and wonderful. She was from, and still lived in, Michigan, and was Midwestern nice. Her idea has now blossomed into 90 Friendship Circles worldwide -- amazing places that serve special needs kids. She downplayed her accomplishments -- I saw through the false modesty. This was a world changing woman...

Another family was invited. They had arrived from Israel last week -- a Dad, Mom, and 16 year old girl. I noticed immediately the girl was puffy looking and shuffled when she walked. Sure enough -- she was fighting a brain tumor, and had failed treatment in Israel.

Sloan Kettering had invited her to the US for an experimental treatment -- and sent her to Baptist Hospital's  Miami Cancer Institute -- allied with Sloan Kettering.  The girl would get treatment here -- the family was put up in an apartment near Miracle Mile, in Coral Gables. I hoped the address would be prophetic.

The Dad, Paul, and I drank most of the fifth of Absolut I brought. He was a great guy -- but I saw the fear in his face. Later this week, he was returning to Tel Aviv, to care for his two younger kids -- the Mom and girl patient would stay in Miami.

They were going to Uber home. Right -- as if. Buzzed, I invited them into our SUV, and Wifey drove to the Gables. I gave the Dad my card -- telling him to share it with his wife if she needed anything.

I guess the Big Man has his logic. I couldn't see it tonight -- why would a sweet, 16 year old girl be given such a scary disease?

I texted Dr. Barry the tale -- ending with an epithet about myself.

And that's how I feel this early Saturday morning.

I'm surely no Christian, but hear "Why Me Lord" playing in my head.

Indeed -- He moves in mysterious ways...

No comments: