Sunday, October 7, 2018

One For The Ages

So my sister of another mister/football wife Mirta arrived right on time, and we left for the stadium formerly known as Joe Robbie. Kickoff was 3:30 -- we got there a bit after 11:30 and cars were already lined up to get in the tailgating lots. It was FSU day!

We play them every year, alternating in Tally and Miami. Unlike the Gators, who dropped the Canes from their schedule on account of the fact that they got tired of losing to us, the Noles never have. Truth is -- they've always been my second favorite team. When the Canes are down, I cheer for them --while cheering against the Gators and Notre Dame is part of my college football DNA. But not yesterday...

We parked, and Norman and Maria and Ramon were setting up. Everyone brought classic tailgate food -- Publix subs, chicken tenders, meatballs. Eric and Dana brought the greatest appetizer in the history of apps -- pigs in blankets. We ate, and drank, and I got the perfect buzz.

Alex came -- he was celebrating his 40th. He wanted it low key, but Donna and Barry brought him a birthday cookie, and we sang to him. He really appreciated it -- I could tell. We talked about the need to stay in the moment -- leaving anxiety behind whenever possible. Alcohol helps with that very well...

We wandered over to Mike's tailgate, and said hello. Florida Supreme Court justice Fred was there, and we caught up with him. I asked Alex if he wanted to have me ask His Honor to sing happy birthday, as he did for Paul a few weeks ago. He did not.

We went into the stadium, and it was electric. But the Canes were flat -- looked bad all around. It was 20-7 at half, and I gave up on them. The Canes were favored to win big, and I figured they believed the press and figured they didn't have to play hard.

But then the worm turned. We got a huge turnover. The defense started to dominate. By the 4th quarter, Canes went up 28-27, and we kept the pressure on and won. It was a comeback for the ages.

We celebrated. There's nothing like leaving a packed stadium when the home team wins big. There were random high fives. Shouts of the team cheer. It was awesome.

We got back to the parking lot, and rehydrated.  Eventually we left -- and sat in some traffic trying to get on the Palmetto for the ride home. Mirta, who loves to say "I told you so," got to say it to me -- she never lost faith in our team, while I did. I was thrilled she was right.

We pulled into the driveway, and went in with Wifey, who had watched on TV and wanted to know what she missed.

On some level, I wish other things excited me as much as college football. Like maybe opera -- or theater.

But being with my oldest and best friends in a parking lot, sharing our memories and future hopes for our teams -- well, that's as good as it gets for me.

And yesterday was truly one for our Canes ages...

No comments: