Friday, October 26, 2018

Leavin' On A Jet Plane

John Denver was my guilty pleasure -- his music considered so lightweight that listening to him made you uncool, but I always enjoyed it. And his "Leavin'" always struck me -- so simple and poignant, especially when covered by the harmonious Peter, Paul, and Mary.

And so it is for us today -- though I'm not leaving my girlfriend behind. As I write, she's upstairs getting ready -- I'll be summoning Uber in about 45 minutes.

Wifey has taught me many lessons about personal comfort, and one is taking later flights. Yes -- there's a greater chance of delay as the day burns on, but being able to leave leisurely sets the tone for vacation trips. Alas, today it was not to be. D2 correctly pointed out that if we left NYC too late on a Friday afternoon, traffic would crawl as we made our way Upstate -- so our flight is due in noon, I fetch a rental car and then 4 Millennials, and we should be on the GW Bridge no later than 2.



In my nearly 40 years living in the Tropics, the only season I miss from living in the Northeast is Fall. Winter -- you can keep it. Spring is nice, but Miami Winter weather is the same. Summer can be just as hot and humid as it is here. But Fall, with cool, crisp temperatures and changing leaves -- now that's something.

We always try to get away for a Fall trip. Sometimes it's an out of state Canes game. But this year it's a Full Squad, as Joey has named the six of us, Fall weekend escape.


So soon the Uber driver will be arriving, but not blowing his horn, as I plan to greet him or her on rhe street. And we already wear each other's wedding rings -- it'll be 32 years this coming January. And we hopefully know when we will be back again -- Sunday night.

Still, I enjoy hearing Denver's song in my head as we prepare for the trip. And I enjoy his "Back Home Again" as well, as we re-enter Villa Wifey.

No comments: