Thursday, October 25, 2018

Dadber Classic

I really, really don't like picking up people at the airport, and have given up that job, mostly. In the age of Uber and Lyft, I think it's unnecessary for anyone to ask for a ride anymore. An exception is some of my friends and their kids -- the kids are still living at home while in grad school, and so are called upon to do "man Friday" chores -- like when we travel with Mike and Loni, and Chris is our personal driver.

I also provide what I call Dadber service to the Ds and their men, and to Wifey, too. They're on my very select list of customers.

D1 and Joey were headed to NYC a few days before we come up, and the spoiled Spaniel needed boarding, so I told D1 I'd get her. But then, it occurred to me -- their outbound flight was close in time to Wifey's inbound flight from ATL. So I undertook a complicated pick.

I left Brickell, and drove up Biscayne, to see first hand all of the gentrification taking place. It truly is -- areas that were gritty and promenades for hookers now had young folks walking in and out of hair salons and restaurants.

I turned east on 82 street and made my way to D1 and Joey's place -- they're now totally unpacked and moved in, and the place looked terrific. It warmed me.

We loaded their carry ons and Spaniel into my car, and left for MIA. Even with evening traffic, it's only a 25 minute ride. I kissed them goodbye. As I entered the car, a text came: Wifey had landed. She had a bag, so I knew it'd be a bit, and so I drove to the cell phone waiting lot on LeJeune. Soon enough, another text came -- she had her bag, and so I drove back to the Delta area to fetch her.

She was overjoyed to see the granddog in the car, and shrieked happily. A lady waiting for a ride cracked up -- she must have been a fellow dog lover.

We drove home, and the three dogs cavorted and jumped around the house -- they have a long weekend together, under the care of Mirta.

A few hours later came another happy text --D1 and Joey had landed. But alas -- no Dadber at LGA -- they took a taxi to D2 and Jonathan's, in Greenwich Village.

But Dadber shall drive again! We have an early flight tomorrow, to LGA, and I will pick up a minivan from Budget. I shall then fetch the 4 millennials and head up to New Paltz for a Fall weekend.

The pay for Dadber is nonexistent, but the joy it brings to me, still being able to hang with my grown kids, is very high.

No comments: