Saturday, December 16, 2017

Thelma and Louise Ride Again

So Wifey's BFF Edna drove to SoFla herself a few weeks ago -- 12 hours from Atlanta. Last time she visited, she got annoyed at the airlines for their change restrictions, realized she liked long drives, and came on down.  Her husband Marc flew up and back, and Wednesday night she came to spend a final night here at Villa Wifey before heading back home.

Thursday we had breakfast together, and then Wifey started talking and talking about new home projects she thought we should do, and then I hit upon a great idea:  maybe Wifey would like to accompany Edna on her drive back to Atlanta!  Wifey couldn't do long car trips on account of her bad back, but that has passed back Ha! into history, and she made a long schlep to Atlanta fleeing Hurricane Irma, so she knew she could do it.

She went to AA.com and learned that a one way flight home was only $200, and decided to book it for 12/24, the same day D2 flies in.  And Edna and Wifey both adore Bo, the special needs Spaniel, and they decided he should come along, too.  Bo costs $120 to bring on the plane -- well worth it.

So it was set -- they'd leave Friday, and be northbound.  Not so fast.  There were too many things to do first -- Wifey had to visit her Mom, for her 93rd birthday, and Edna needed a final visit to HER parents at Miami Jewish Home.  So Friday was too aspirational --it would be Saturday.

I attended Stu's holiday lunch on Brickell, and then John and I decided to retire to Town, for some more revelry.  I called Wifey, and she was flitting around, and Edna was already annoyed, so I invited Edna to meet us, which she did.  We got home around 7, to a still flitting Wifey, but the two did get out the door around 8 -- with a visit to Miami Jewish planned, followed by a night at Edna's condo in Hallandale, and then a departure this am.

Their plan is to stop for the night in O Town, with friend Elizabeth, and then leave Sunday for the long leg of the trip back to Atl.

Meanwhile, I get 8 days of bachelorhood, which I really enjoy.  It's just me and Vienna, the strange rescue dog, who seemed to enjoy some only dog time.  We already took a long walk together this am.

The house is being painted -- the crew started Tuesday, and we're told it's a full two week affair.  It was time -- Villa Wifey is now 20, and has never been painted.  We're keeping the same colors -- yellow, and beige, and gray.  I fell in love with the place in those shades -- no need to change.

Deb called yesterday to invite Wifey and I to see Cirqu du Soleil with them.  I told her I was Wifey-less, but she said that was fine.  I was honest with her, though -- I appreciate their talent, but after seeing them once in Vegas, I realized I can't watch an entire performance again.  I totally related to Seth Rogen's character in "Knocked Up," who watched them perform under the influence of magic mushrooms, and was totally freaked out.

But Deb said I was still invited to dinner tonight, and I'm looking forward to that.  First, I'll meet D1 over at the Palace, to see the ancient suegra.  Then, the second half of a Canes basketball game on TV at Mike's house is in the mix.

I love Wifey and our life together, but separations indeed make the heart grow fonder.  My signature bachelor move is dinner alone, at the bar of either Trulucks or Shula's in South Miami.  I drink a martini or two, eat dinner, and either chat with the bartender or watch whatever they have on ESPN.  Then  I return to let out the strange rescue dog.  It ought to be a pleasant week.

12/24 my friend crazy Joel is having his annual Christmas Eve get together.  He invited us all last year, and this year as well -- he and his wife Courtney have a gorgeous house in the Grove and do a traditional Italian Xmas eve -- all fish and cold cuts and Joel grills a tenderloin.

It'll be a bit tough logistically this year -- Wifey and Bo arrive at 6, and D2 at 7, assuming all are on time, but I think we can pull it off.

And Xmas Day, for us known as Wifey's birthday, I think we might break Chinese food tradition and instead have a meal at SoHo House, where D1 is a member.

But first thing's first: I'm  a bachelor for the next 8 days.  I put away all women's magazines, and put up, temporarily, a black velvet painting of dogs playing poker.

It's nice, but really only because it's temporary.  The Boss sang it best: don't make no difference what nobody says...ain't nobody wants to be alone.


No comments: