Sunday, December 31, 2017

Adios, 2017

And so I sit, drinking the last morning coffee of 2017, and reflecting about the year gone by.  Last night was a fun one, albeit in an "other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln" sort of way.

After dealing with yet another ancient suegra issue, Wifey and Mirta and I said goodbye to D2, who was planning to attend an alternate wedding party in Pinecrest, and headed up the Palmetto.  It was an alternative party, since her high school friend Max is marrying in North Carolina, in a small ceremony for family only, and his folks wanted to have a party for friends here in town, first.

We parked, and found that Mike was hosting his tailgate one row over -- we joined him, and caught up with old friends.  Barry and his family had Ubered to the game, and Paul and Patricia and Alex came, too.  My old friend Steve the cop was on duty, with his old buddy Darren.  Darren is one of these people I see far too little of.

It turns out his middle girl is a 1L at UF, and Darren got her on the phone for me to talk with .  The girl is a budding superstar -- and I asked her to say hi to my rabbi friend's son.  She knew him -- they're in the same section.  I'd love it if these two became closer -- truly the next generation, kids of wonderful men.

We found our way to the Club section, and I learned why I had the final three seats there -- smack in the middle of the Wisconsin fans.  The game began, and I went a bit wild.  Mirta thought it best we get out of there, and we did -- repairing to Norman's skybox, where a party was in full force.

We stayed there for the rest of the game.  The Canes had a big lead but blew it -- our hopefully soon to be ex QB isn't good enough -- he threw 3 picks.  Still, it was a fine season -- 10-3 -- and I have my season ticket renewal package to send in next week.  And for me, it brings football season to a close -- I'll have only passing ha ! interest in which teams win the college ring and Super Bowl...

Now I can focus on more important things than the Canes, like -- well, I don't know yet -- I'll find something.

What a year.  The highlight for us was, of course, the Big, Fat, Colombian wedding -- the biggest affair ever put on by someone in my family.  As far as I can tell --over three hundred guests had the time of their life.  Only one reported she didn't -- the "Spanish music was too loud."  Hey. Every party has a pooper...

D1 and Joey have a lot coming up in '18 -- they bought a new house, and will monitor its construction progress. D1 has big plans for her business.

D2 and Jonathan seem closer to moving back here.  D2 was bemoaning that the first week of the year will hit her with single digit temperatures.  She's a tropical girl.  As for what the plans might specifically be, they'll be working for the Nunya Company, as in Nunya (my) business...

Wifey and I have some serious focus coming on health issues -- weight loss, better fitness.  We have promised the Ds to endeavor as such...

So the mortal coil spins, and brings us, tonight another year to savor.  I figure if it turns out less than great -- I'll opt to follow the Jewish calendar, and switch years in September.  Hopefully that won't be necessary...

No comments: