Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Dad's Restaurant Rule

Wifey and the Ds know my rule when it comes to restaurants: if you're not greeted well, or there's a big delay in getting service -- it's time to turn around and walk out.  I 've learned that a bad experience never improves with time -- it goes from bad to worse.

So last night, Wifey and I decided to celebrate the first night of Chanukah by seeking some Jewish soul food.  She visited her mother -- transferred from Baptist Hospital back to the Palace, but not the ALF -- rehab.  This may be the beginning of her sad "graduation" from ALF to nursing home.

We decided to meet at the Roasters and Toasters on 128 Street.  I tend to rank Roasters as my #3 local deli, behind Lots of Lox and Bagel Emporium -- the prices at Roasters offend me.  But, it's closest, and since R and T took over the former Mitch's West side, it IS better...

I arrived first and learned that a large number of our fellow tribemen had the same idea -- there were about 40 people there.  It appeared there were only 2 servers.  The 70 something lady manager came out, and asked if she could bring me something.  Yes, I said, I was waiting for my wife, but an iced tea please, and an order of latkes.  20 minutes passed.  Nothing.

A couple across from me had a tea and seemed angry.  Wifey arrived -- I told her "it ain't happening here tonight."  The older couple got up to leave.  I told Wifey we needed to do the same.

The couple waited at the counter to pay for the tea, but no one was there.  I leaned in, and said "I think they at least owe you a free tea for this -- take off."  The woman said "I like the way you think" and walked out.  So we stole an iced tea and hot tea from the incompetent deli...

Wifey wanted to go to LOL, but then we saw Ana Capri was open.  It's an ok Italian place -- we hadn't been in 3 years.  We walked across the lot, and were greeted by a most effete man -- dismissive as well.  He asked for our reservation.

What?  A place in a strip center in Pinecrest on a Tuesday night?  No, I said -- no reservations.  It was 7:15.  "I can get you in at 8 -- maybe earlier if you're lucky."  No thanks, I said -- I was last there three years ago -- I'd try back in 2021.  He rolled his eyes.  I reminded him there were 20 Italian restaurants in a 3 mile radius.  "But we're the best," he lisped.  No, I countered -- Salvatore D is.

We then got in the car and drove to LOL.  It was great.  I ordered latkes,  The American waitress asked why so many were ordering them.  I explained that on Chanukah, Jews are supposed to eat oily foods -- to reflect the oil that kept the menorah burning.

We ate, and reflected on Chanukahs past -- when the Ds were little.  It was a big deal.  As empty nesters, it no longer is.

But Wifey got the present she wanted -- the wacko judge lost the senate race in Alabama.

And I think I will no longer vote to go to Roasters...

No comments: