Friday, December 8, 2017

Living in the Tropical Jungle

Now that the debris from Irma is gone, and the temperatures are mercifully cooler, I have resumed my daily constitutionals around the 'hood.  Regarding temperatures -- it's supposed to get mercifully cooler this weekend, but this am belied that -- the walk was hot and sweaty.

The peafowl have really taken over.  We would see them occasionally, but now they're everywhere.  And, as Wifey pointed out, they have no fear of humans.  Flocks of them stroll around, like, well, peacocks.  They let the leashed dogs get to within a foot or so before they squawk off.  We're lucky -- they still avoid our yard on account of our infestation of dogs, but I see another neighbor uprising coming.

They're non native but somehow protected by law.  I'm guessing self help will prevail -- and we'll soon smell backyard grills cooking these pavos royales (royal turkeys).  I bet they taste like, well, turkey...

Today Wifey decided to come along, and she broke out the comical dog stroller she bought.  Our special needs Spaniel Bo can't walk long distances, so every 1/8 mile or so Wifey puts him into a stroller.  After he rests, he whines to get out, and then join us like a real dog.

As we turned a corner, Bo darted for something.  We saw it was a land crab -- critters that walk about a few times per year.  The crab tried to snap at Bo's nose, but thankfully he pulled back in time, avoiding Spaniel injury.  I swear the crab gave us a middle claw as he scampered away...

The walks never get boring for me.  We've lived here now nearly 17 years, so often the memories keep me company as I walk around.

Today we passed the original Devonwood house -- called the Warwick Estate, after the fellow who built the first house, in 1923.  I remember taking my Mom around, in a scooter I rented for her, and pointing that house to her.  "Big deal, " she said , "I was born in 1920, so I'm more historic."  She was, of course, correct.

Meanwhile, D1 flew out of town yesterday, to Orlaaaaaaado, as we call it, after the great "Book of Mormon" song.  She was invited to the MLB Winter Meetings, as team dietitian for the Marlins.  Joey and their dear couple friends Alyssa and Freddy are driving up today, to attend Harry Potter World, and then all come home together.

D2 is at the corporate wheel -- due back home two weeks from this Sunday.  It'll be great to have her and Jonathan here -- I'm told NYC is getting its first snow today, and by late December my tropical daughter will be ready for a warm up...

Tonight Wifey and I are meeting her BFF Edna and her man Marc at Il Gabbiano.  The name is Italian for "Very expensive but worth every penny Italian restaurant."  It truly is -- may be the best restaurant in the state.

And tomorrow, we're meeting them again, along with Paul and Patricia, at Gulfstream, for lunch.  Edna has never been -- we'll hopefully win enough money for her next vacation.

But in the mean time, I'll keep walking.  I'll see what new fauna awaits.

No comments: