Monday, January 9, 2017

We're All Still Boys

So the York A/C in the Suegra condo crapped out, and this am Danny's man Ivan met me there bright and early to install a new one.  Ivan and Danny are like repair guys from the 1950s -- when they say they'll be over at 8 am, they're there 10 before...

My mother in law was fast asleep, and I closed her bedroom door, but she emerged and smiled.  The positive news, as I related to Wifey, is that she looks mostly recovered from her fall -- I think Wifey can go back to the day time aide only -- the old woman gets around the condo just fine herself.

Anyway, Ivan's assistant started tearing out the old air handler, and Ivan was up on the condo roof, preparing for the new unit.  And then, at 7:45, the crane arrived.  The hired one to lift the new compressor to the second story roof, and to remove the old unit.  The crane guy came in, parked, and immediately wrapped the new Rheem unit in heavy fabric, and up it went.  I videotaped the process.

Maybe there are grown men who don't think watching heavy construction equipment working is way cool, but I am NOT one of those grown man.  Watching the 600 lb unit fly through the air, and gently touch down, followed by the quick removal of the old unit was very neat to watch.  I didn't ask the crane operator if I could play with the machine, but I thought about it...

I left for home, and a few hours later, Ivan sent me two photos on text:  the newly installed air handler, in the condo closet, and the new compressor, squatting proudly on the roof.  He assured me everything worked "perfect."

I plan to trust him for now, as we're enjoying a lovely cool front.  But by the weekend we'll be back in the low 80s, and I can check out the handiwork of the a/c men.

I did get to chat with the crane man -- Cuban American, smoking a stogie.  I asked how many lifts he does each day, and he said on a good day, maybe 25 or more.  At $400 per, I quickly noted he had a hell of a good business.  "Yes -- berry good," he agreed.  I couldn't resist, and said "But it has its ups and downs..."  He smiled, and said he hears that only about 5 times each day.  Puns are universally revered...

So for now, we have a cool suegra, who, more importantly, seems to be stable and not in need of a nursing home.  This gladdens Wifey.  Speaking of nursing homes, we're meeting her friend tonight, whose fiance has been in rehab since April.  I hope to hear some positive news about him.

And after dinner, Pat is meeting me to watch the final college game of the year.  Since the Fins tanked yesterday, as I expected, after tonight football for me is over.  We're flying home from NYC on Super Bowl Sunday, and I'm happy about it -- I couldn't care less about who wins.

I guess in that way I'm not still like a boy, at least a football crazed one.  But those cranes are way cool...

No comments: