Monday, January 30, 2017

We Really Ought To Go There More

Every once in awhile, Wifey and I visit a place, typically close by, and we say to ourselves "Selves -- we really should come here more often!"  And so it was Friday with Black Point Marina.

BPM is only about 15 minutes south of us -- a county facility with a tiki bar and restaurant, set on a lovely marina .  Wifey and her book club often meet there for lunch to enjoy the company and food and NOT discuss the book they've been assigned.  We for for the occasional dinner.

So Friday it was lovely out, and we called some friends to gin up interest, and Mike and Loni were game.  We fetched them and headed down Old Cutler Road, which was jammed, so Mike used some phone technology, found us a shortcut, and got us there in a jiffy.  My friend John was at a bar, though as a patron, so he couldn't get me my drinks for free...but he was solo, and we invited him to join us.

The staff found us a table right on the water, and the drinks flowed, and the laughter followed.  John is quite the raconteur, and has a wealth of tales from his days as a USAF fighter pilot.  The joke I always tell is that he got bored with flying supersonic, and being treated like a rock star by the local girls in the tiny AF towns he'd visit, and so went on to law school for real excitement.

He told one tale about a case where a patron of a South Beach bar was bitten by a parrot, and claimed the bird gave her a usually sexually transmitted disease.  To me, any tale with a parrot in it is likely going to be funny, and as Mike and I riffed on John's story, well, we all laughed so hard that hearing a splash from our falling into the water was a real hazard.  But we kept our footing, and enjoyed ourselves -- toasting John, whose 65th birthday was the following day.

Saturday Jeff picked me up, and we headed to Mike's to muster for the Canes game.  This was a rare occurrence -- Jeff is typically too busy with his elderly and failing widow mother to join us -- and it turned to another fine time.  Our fellow law school friend Peter was along, and we watched the Canes upset North Carolina at a rocking arena.  Saturday night Wifey and I had a quiet dinner at our local go-to Thai place, and I joked that, without D2 there, I was free to order my favorite king of the sea soup, which D2 always says smells like feet to her...  It does, but a good kind of feet, so I really enjoy it.

Sunday Wifey and I drove to Wynwood, on a rainy, cool day, and met at Joey's, where D1 and her man Joey (no relation) and Joey's mom Jackie gathered for a brunch.  We caught up, and chatted about the upcoming Big Fat Colombian wedding.

The weather stayed gray, which matched the mood for our next stop -- visiting my mother in law. We ordered sandwiches at Hole in the Wall, which is our local hole in the wall.  It was packed.  The place has been there for years -- simple -- TVs, beer and wine, and great wings and sandwiches.  The owner, Sam, was struggling to read the takeout orders.  I offered him my readers, but he said he was "resisting."  He's nearly 50 -- resistance to near sighted vision is futile.

Wifey made me laugh at mi suegra's place.  The old woman kept barking VERY LOUD, and each time Wifey would cover her ears like she was at a Metal concert.  The old woman kept saying "Vy you laugh?  I don't say nothing funny!" which made things even more hilarious.

Anyway, the weekend ended with a cool, star filled night, where I moved a rocking chair to the middle of my front steps and gazed up, to remind myself of the infinity of creation, and how the problems of a couple of people doesn't amount to a hill of beans...

But I WILL visit Black Point more...

No comments: