Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Boys of Winter

So my brother Norman has been the complete social director this week.  Saturday he invited me to a bachelor's party for one of his firm's young lawyers, and last night the fun continued.  He had four awesome tickets to see Don Henley at the Hard Rock Arena up at the Seminole Reservation, and made a men's night out of it.

I took the train to my office, and then met Mike at his, after a walk over the Brickell Bridge on a truly spectacular afternoon.  I paused at the bridge's zenith and looked out at the mouth of the Miami River, to Biscayne Bay.  I never get over how gorgeous the city is...particularly in the wonderful weather months of Winter...

Mike and I drove to Norman's office, and then we three braved traffic up to Casa Carajo, a/k/a Broward County.  We parked and tried to get some drinks at Martarano's outside bar.  No dice -- the two overworked barkeeps never even looked up.  So Mike and I went inside, and Norman waited on Jim, our fourth, who lives in Casa Carajo, a/k/a Cooper City.  We 4 mustered inside, over adult beverages.

Jim sheepishly admitted why he was late:  his wife asked him to stop at a CVS to buy some feminine hygiene products -- the height of emasculation.  No, I corrected him -- Jim was being a showoff -- as his wife was the only of the four spouses of us still of that age...We all laughed heartily -- preferring, as always, the company of men...

There was a serviceable opening act -- an indie-type bluegrassy band from NYC called JD and the Straight Shots.  They have several songs in chick flicks, like a Meryl Streep thing called Osage something or other.  We 4 agreed we never watch such tripe...

And then Henley came on, and he rocked immediately.  Norman had scored FINE tickets -- front row in the second floor section -- perfect to see and hear.  The arena was sold out, and, as opposed to going out in Miami, we were far from the oldest ones there.  In fact, there were plenty of EARLY Boomers -- late 60s and maybe even a few folks 70 or so...

People immediately started taking cell phone shots, and Henley put a stop to it -- saying they were permitted when he sang a song about a hotel everyone might know.  And it worked -- all phones were put into pockets until the strains of "Hotel California" were heard...

Henley was in fine voice, and his band was terrific, too.  He played great Eagles songs, and his solo hits, including "Heart of the Matter," which he co wrote with Bruce Hornsby, a fellow U alum, so the song is his best. He talked about how his first hit and many others were recorded "just south of here."  Two know it all women behind us said "Oh -- he means Key West." I almost turned around like a snooty professor to correct them, but then Henley said "It was in Coconut Grove."

We all 4 loved it -- he even covered a Tears for Fears song, which Norman and Jim really enjoyed -- that's their wheelhouse of music.

We also took turns making a few visits to the men's room -- I noted sadly that when I used to go to Canes game in the Orange Bowl, and needed to pee, I would NEVER get in line at the trough behind a middle aged or older guy -- it takes too long.  Alas, I an now that guy...

The show ended, and Jim went off to see a friend who was playing at one of the other places.  Mike, Norman, and I went to Norman's suv and, well waited.  It took an hour to get out of the lot.  I guess President Trump hasn't fixed everything yet.

It was, all told, a fine night with fine gentlemen.  We got to see Henley before he joins his brother Glenn Frey in that great Eagles nest in the sky.

In the aging rockers department, I scored 4 tickets for Norman and his wife Deb and Wifey and I to see U2 -- in June.  I think I'll spring for a limo to that one...the ladies will enjoy it as they endure a night out with extremely funny men...

No comments: