Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Things Wear Out

So we started 2017 with the need to replace some stuff.  First, the A/C in the condo where my mother in law is now staying decided to only blow warm air.  The unit is the original one from the condo conversion, in '06, and I'm sort of surprised it's lasted this long.  Everything the greedy developer used in the project was the cheapest and crappiest, and I thought the A/C would go five years ago.  Our tenant Lenny, who paid below market rent in exchange for doing his own repairs, told me when he moved out last year that the unit was on its last legs.  He was right.

So I called Danny, a guy so good at his trade that my buddy Norman, who referred him to me, once said he almost looked forward to A/C breakdowns so he could deal with Danny.  I agree.  Danny sent his man Ivan over yesterday, and hopefully will install a new unit Saturday.  Luckily, the weather has been not too hot, so my suegra and her aides can survive until the cool indoor air returns...

And then, just this am, I did my daily check for leaks around the old hot water heater, the one inside the house.  A second one, that lives in the garage, has been replaced twice in the 16 years we've lived at Villa Wifey, but the inside one is the original, nearing 20 years.  Sure enough, this am there was a small leak, and corrosion on the bottom of the unit.  The timing was great -- it happened the day after D2 left for NYC, so we didn't have to deal with anything while she was staying. 

I called the comically named South End Plumbing, who we've used since our first house, in 1986, and they had an opening today.  Wifey was home anyway, and, as I write, Tom the plumber is installing a new heater.

So stuff breaks.  It wears down.  But not my marriage!  Yesterday Wifey and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary.  With ups and downs, like everyone else, we've endured, and signed up for another 30 years.

We celebrated simply.  D2 had a physical exam with our family doc, and I took her, and then we fetched Wifey for breakfast at LOL.  From there we stopped in on her grandmother, so she could say goodbye.  Then it was home, for an exquisite snuggling session with Bo, the special needs Spaniel, and the strange rescue dog.  D2 said her goodbyes.

We took her to MIA, and she met Jonathan at the Centurion Lounge before dealing with the crowds and lovely mood of traveling after the holidays.  But it was a good flight -- they both made it back to NYC, even though D2 had watched "Sully" with us and had her doubts...

Then Wifey and I went to Canton, our go-to Chinese place since the days we were dating.  It was quiet, and we shared some chicken and vegetables, in honor of D1, the dietitian.  And then I drove us to the UM campus -- to this day, one of my real happy places.

The campus was nearly deserted -- classes are out, I assume.  We parked in a lot across from my beloved Building 22, which is a new parking lot.  And we walked across the new bridge, and through the Music School, to the Intramural Field.  Wifey has nice memories of watching my friends and I play softball there -- she and Norman's ex wife were the cheerleaders.

There are now rows of orange and green rocking chairs on the patio overlooking the field, and Wifey and I sat in a few and talked of days gone past.  Then we walked back to the car, in a light drizzle, which was exquisite.

Just the other day, my FaceBook (tm) friend Dion (I'm one of his 200k friends) posted a short video of himself walking in his Boca Raton neighborhood, also in a light warm winter rain.  He remarked "You haven't lived life unless you've walked in the rain."  Wise fellow, that Dion.

So Big Man willing, we'll endure through more years, even as stuff wears out and breaks.  After all, it's only stuff...

No comments: