Monday, January 2, 2017

Embracing the Winners

So yesterday D2 and Jonathan awoke from their late night NYE celebration, and we gathered Wifey and headed off to the Grove.  We had brunch at Glass and Vine, and then walked to Sailboat Bay, where I took a first day of the year picture of the handsome young couple.  Jonathan was going to Uber back to his parents' house in Aventura, but it was a lovely day for a drive, and the loaner SUV I have has a sun roof, so we drove him back.  Wifey slept, as she often does in moving vehicles...

We dropped Jonathan off, and were heading home, when D1 texted her sister, inviting us over to her condo.  We found an excellent parking space -- no small feat in Midtown, and met D1 and Joey, and Joey's brother and sister in law on their pool deck.  Bob and Vera were in the jacuzzi, and came out, and we all sat in the swinging sofas, and talked.  Actually, I mostly listened.

Bob and Joey are both young executives at an international exercise company, and Vera is getting an advanced degree in Biology at the U, where she does research on stem cells.  D1 founded and runs her own nutrition company, and D2 is a young executive at Macy's.  And I noticed something:  most of the tales they told were about people they know, and the successes they attained.

There were tragedies, of course, and a few tales about major fails relating to NYE, but, on the whole, these young people shared something critical:  they found people who win to be far more fascinating than people who lose.

It struck me that all life is aspirational.  We strive for goals.  For some the goals are negative, and others wish to soar -- whether financially, or socially, or philanthropically.  And yesterday afternoon, Wifey and I were privileged to be in this company of 5 terrific young people, all of whom shared that positive outlook.  It was powerful and it was beautiful.

My partner Paul and I always talk about how crucial it is to keep yourself surrounded by young people.  I guess it's one of the characteristics of Baby Boomers -- Paul is an early one, and I'm at the tail end of that.  Our parents tended to more be around their comtemporaries.  When I think of my parents, when I was in college, I have a vision of them at their condo pool, surrounded by other retirees.  The discussions were about bank CDs and early bird dinners.  When my friends and I visited, we were an anomaly.  Hell -- my parents' condo even prohibited kids -- you had to be 18 to live there, and at least 55 to own one of the units.

That ain't me, babe.  I really prefer spending a LOT of time with the younger folks -- especially those on the rise -- looking to get ahead -- looking to soar.

The past is nice to reflect on, and we do it a lot, especially this time of year.  But looking ahead, as the Ds and their troop do -- well, that makes the coming year worthwhile.

No comments: