Wednesday, March 5, 2014

When Our Children Soar

If there's something better than watching the success of your good friends' and your own kids, I don't what it is. The last few weeks have been a shower of great news regarding the older kids I know. First, I learned that Dr. Barry's oversized son Scott, as humble as he is accomplished, is currently ranked #5 in his graduating class. I knew he had done well -- but 5???? He was named his school paper's editor in chief for next year, so I think this young fellow will have his choice of college journalism programs to choose from next year. I still feel guilty when I'm around him, though. Barry gave me the supreme honor of holding him when the mohel did his bris. It took all I had not to pass out that afternoon in January of '97...and I still think I should have grabbed the baby boy and run away from the knife...Scott has forgiven me, though... And last Sunday, Norman's youngest son Benji had a wonderful shining moment: his senior music recital at the U. Wifey and I went to see, along with Dr. Barry and his younger boy Josh, who is himself a musician and budding computer guy (we all think that, in a stable of accomplished kids, Josh will somehow end up the richest -- he is people wise beyond his years, and knows computers like nobody's business). Jim was also there, along with an array of friends and family. I got to sit with Norman's Dad Max, who beamed with pride as Benji played with a bunch of other amazing jazz musicians -- all songs Benji composed. Several of the songs were as good as I've heard. I'm surely no jazz expert, but clearly Benji got much more sax in college than I did... And finally, today, my own D2 got some great news: an extremely competitive corporate summer internship she applied for came through. Matter of fact -- it looks like the second one she applied to is going to make her an offer as well. She seemed shocked to get these positions, even though she is Phi Beta Kappa, beautiful, poised, and funny. I think she just defaults to the self deprecating -- but regardless, it's awesome to see her soar. And, both companies are here in Miami, so we have a summer to look forward to with both Ds in town! Now she'll have to decide -- reduced prices on burgers, or discount sea cruises... All I know is, I am one proud, rockin' Daddy in the USA. As are Barry and Norman...

No comments: