Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pleasant Thoughts

One of my simple pleasures is driving down Old Cutler Road, when the traffic is flowing, listening to satellite radio. Today, I had on the "Bridge" station, which plays folk rock and singer/songwriters from my youth. Alan Parsons project Eric Woolfson sang one of my favorite, reflective, sad songs: "Time." They lyrics are so simple and poignant: time keeps flowing like a river...to the sea. Who knows when we shall meet again ...if ever? The song takes me back to high school -- sitting in my room in our house on Long Island, pondering the future. Then came on Paul Simon's "Kodachrome," a hit from the early 70s. I bought the album it's on -- "There Goes Rhymin' Simon," and played it so often I memorized all the lyrics. The song made me think of Dr. Eric -- as he too has a Nikkon camera -- though he no longer uses the film -- strictly memory sticks. It's so funny how music does that -- opens parts of your brain, and triggers memory. Speaking of which -- we have a great upcoming event: Norman's S3, Benjamin, is graduating from the U this year, and Sunday has his senior recital. He composed a whole jazz concert, which he'll play with fellow musicians, at Gusman Hall at the U, and we get to go. I'm so proud of him -- I watched him perform once before, at a restaurant in West Kendall. I think Norman might be a bit proud, too. So time keeps flowing, like a river...

No comments: