Saturday, March 29, 2014

As Many Lives As One Can

A wise friend of mine once said she knew the words for her gravestone: "She Lived As Many Lives As She Could." I started reflecting on that this am, as I got a text from another good friend, asking if I'd had a "full week of life." The answer was, I had. First, as always, I was a father -- fetching D1 frm MIA late Sunday, even though a cab would have done fine, advising D2 on health and career issues, and reinforcing for her that I'll be there for her as long as I live. I wore the dutiful husband hat -- hosting Wifey's dear friend for the past 11 days, and advising her and helping her through the awful process of being appointed guardian for her failing parents -- awful because her parents are two of the least thankgul and gracious folks ever... I'm re -immersing myself in the law business -- so I lived the life of a law firm CEO and strategist -- meeting with my law dogs about the future handling of cases. I was a confessor and drinking buddy -- a dog walker and manager of finances. Yesterday I was consigliere for a friend facing firing from her employer of nearly 30 years. In Florida, you can lawfully get fired if your boss doesn't like your shoes -- so long as you're not discriminated against. We think my friend may be targeted because of her age, so I referred and conferrred with a labor lawyer, and then tried to figure out who the players were at her organization who could stave this off politically -- without need for the law. So many people choose insulated lives -- holed up alone, "keeping busy." I applaud them -- if they find happiness that way -- that's terrific. But for me, being alone is just a re charge period, before I'm off to live another life, or at least part of one. Today Norman, Mike, and I plan a mini law school reunion with Pete -- a fellow grad I haven't seen in some time, even though he lives close by. We're headed to a local tavern for beers and wings -- and I'm sure talk of the days we though we were already adults -- even though, as the Rug Rats Angela used to admonish her baby siblings: "You babies don't know NOTHING." So maybe I know a little more than I did at 22, or 25. I do know that the lives are full and varied, and for that I'm eternally thankful.

No comments: