Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Heat is ON

So Summer, 2013 has arrived, and indeed it's hot as hell. Stuart, Mark and I decided to try a new steak place for lunch --just a few blocks over the Brickell Bridge. The food was good, but we arrived back sweating like we had worked out --despite the breezes blowing off the river. That night, Mike came over with some fine locally distilled rum, I ordered a pizza, and we watched the Heat team play game 7. Wifey lasted for most of it, but then her bad back reared its head, and she headed off to bed. Mike and I watched the Heat hold on and win its 2nd NBA title in 2 years. Mike and I have watched so many great games together over our 30 year friendship --most involving our beloved Canes. For a moment I suspended the absurdity of cheering for one group of millionaire mercenaries beating another, and just enjoyed the fact that Miami has the most kick ass team in the world. D1 watched in Houston -- she made her standby flight, and is spending the weekend with her boyfriend there, and D2 watched on Brickell with her boyfriend, and took part in the wild street celebration that followed the game. In other news, my sister reported that we got a buyer for Mom's condo. My parents bought the place in 1979 for $39K, after selling our Long Island house for $40K. The condo just sold, 34 years to the month later, for $49K. The house on LI is worth in the high $600Ks... A great lesson about buying houses versus condos or townhouses... But Mom never looked at it that way. She loved living in Kings Point -- first when she was among her brother and sisters, and later, as she declined -- just feeling safe and secure in her little Florida room --looking out at a strip of grass and bottle brush trees the Association never allowed to grow past about 15 feet. That's a lesson, too. So Wifey bought me a new pool float, and I aim to take it for a test drive. Right now, though, the blessed AC is keeping me cool, as Al Green plays, loudly. My idea of fun in the summer time...

No comments: