Saturday, June 15, 2013

Erev Father's Day

So D1 called yesterday, upset at news regarding 2 acquaintances. One local JCC Mom, who I think I met once or twice, fell in her house, suffered a subdural hematoma, was in a coma 2 days, and then died. She was 61 (D1 thought 55, but Wifey's quick web search showed otherwise). And then Alyssa, D1's roommate, told her her friend got a call from the Mom in Boca telling her to come home because Dad was dead of a heart attack in their house. He was, apparently, 55. So D1 told us how much she loves and appreciates us, and Wifey, a big klutz, should be more careful, and I should do more exercise... How appropriate, on Father's Day weekend... We're off in an hour to visit Wifey's Dad at the nursing home. Both Ds are coming, along with D2's boyfriend Jonathan. My mother in law wants to go to Soyka, the restuarant 2 blocks from MJH. Soyka is trendy, and not normally her kind of place, but they have great chicken...a MUST for passing my mother in law's restaurant muster. Tomorrow the Ds will celebrate with me. They want to visit the local dog park with the strange rescue dog and spoiled spaniel -- as that plan was aborted on Mother's Day on account of my having to disperse my Mom's ashes. The simple fact is I'm happiest as a Dad when my Ds are happy -- so dog park and then lunch it shall be. I was watching an interview the other day with some famous musician -- I forget who. The interviewer went on and on about his work, and he said, finally "Look --if I'm remembered as a great Dad --that's all that matters." Amen to that. My life has been a string of manifold blessings. I've made more money than I ever imagined. I love in a tropical mansion. I've traveled everywhere I wanted, and places I didn't KNOW I wanted --but Wifey dragged me along and I was always glad I went. I've picked up more tabs for dinner and trips than I ever thought possible, and given more to charity than I thought. I've helped some badly injured kids. But ain't nothing like being a Dad -- to the two best Ds in the world. So tomorrow, they'll celbrate me, but EVERY day is Father's Day for me -- as I celibrate them.

No comments: