Saturday, January 23, 2010

Two Old Guys Died

Yesterday my partner Paul told me about the death of Nate, his best childhood friend's father. He was 90. Paul is flying up to Philly today for the funeral.

This morning, my sister told me that her ex father in law Bob died, in California. He was 82. His funeral is sometime this week.

I never met either man, but I know a lot about their lives. Nate was a succesful business man, who made his money buying and selling properties in Philly. He adored his kids and grandkids, and, from what I've heard from Steve, his son, was extremely generous with his family.

He put his kids through school and helped them do the same for THEIR kids. He lived modestly, in the same row house he bought after WW II. His family grieves his passing.

Bob was a succesful salesman, who was of that generation who could become well off as a company man. He bought several properties, and was a collector of vintage cars. He and his wife bought vast amounts of antiques.

He was very cheap with his family. I know personally about one grandson, who once borrowed about $1000 to get through a semester of college, and was made to feel like he had borrowed the money from the mob.

As far as I know, Bob never gave to charity, although he'd probably consider tipping the waiters at his country club to be a charitable act.

I don't grieve for either of these men, as I didn't know them.

To Nate, I'd say, so long, and congratulations on a life lived well.

To Bob, I'd say...

No comments: