Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Real Dog

D1's puppy Madeleine has really grown on me this Winter break. She's truly a cute little girl, but not too fufu like a Yorkie or other might be.

She hops into my lap, and licks my face. She also has an adorable habit of finding a napping human, and curling up around his or her head. I'm told this is a "Mads hat."

This morning, she was romping around in the back yard, on this chilly January morning, and dragged what I thought was a small piece of a tree into the family room. I looked closer --it was a dead rat! For all I know, she might have even killed it outside. Wow --she's a real dog, too!

Yesterday Wifey and I traveled the parent circuit. First we saw my mother, and she seemed happy enough. Wifey bought her a new wardrobe, since she (Mom, not Wifey) has shrunk so much her old clothes hang on her. She seemed to enjoy the gifts.

Later, I told her that when she needed cash, she simply needed to have her aide take her to the bank, and she could use her debit card to withdraw what she needed. I've taken over her finances, and the only transaction she makes is paying a cleaning lady and Louise, her drive and assistant.

She called me this am, having "been up worrying the whole night" about the simple instruction. She's going to have Louise call me this am, and I plan to take over even that simplest of operation --paying for rides. Everything is so daunting.

Wifey's prediction is right --we're going to have to move her to Miami, probably this year, so Wifey and I can be closer to her. She really needs family visits at least a few times per week, and Delray Beach is just too far. Once she's closer, we can keep a closer eye on her.

She'd prefer to stay in her condo, where she's been for 30 years, but that just won't be in the cards very soon. Her decline is going to force a move sooner than later.

Next stop --Wifey's folks. Her mother, 85, is fit as a fiddle --even worrying about her weight. She led me to her condo's trash room to throw out a plant, and I could barely keep up with her.

We took my in laws to a Village Tavern, and they grumbled about how fancy and expensive it was. I ordered for the both of them, and fortinately my father in law didn't make some offensive racial comment to the Black waiter. Still, I needed 2 stoli martinis to make it through my visit.

The Ds and Thomas had a blast at Lady Gaga, and are sleeping in. D1 and Thomas head back to Jacksonville today, and then Gainesville tomorrow. D1 will commence her final UF semester.

I agree with Wifey -- we're going to miss D1 AND her wonderful puppy. She's won a place in our hearts, and now has utility: she can help control the rats!

No comments: