Friday, January 29, 2010

Human Resources

Over the past 15 years of having my own law firm, the business end of it turned out to be the thing I enjoy the most. My partner does most of the depositions and hearings, and I hire and fire.

Fortunately, the firing part has been rare, as I hate to do it. I guess it comes from my Liberal Democratic upbringing --it's awful to have to let some one go.

We hired a new receptionist 2 months ago, a nice, bright FIU student who wants to go to law school. Like D1, she's in her final semester of her senior year, and can't work all 40 hours per week. But, she's resourceful, and brought in a high school friend to cover the 10 hours per week or so the receptionist is away.

The part timer started 3 weeks ago. She goes to Miami Dade college, is smart, and has been doing a fine job. In fact, one of my office roommates, and experienced criminal defesne lawyer, prefers the part time worker to the one who is there more.

Alas, as I was on my way in today, Mirta called and said there was a major problem. It seemed that another clerk had lost her debit card, and all of the ladies figured out it was C, the part timer, who had stolen it. She rang up nearly $200 in charges, and even bragged about "finally having some money to spend" on Facebook.

I came back from lunch, and brought C into my office. She's 19, and overweight. I told her what we knew, and at first she denied it. And then Mirta went into prosecutor mode, telling C that the store where she used the stolen card had her on videl. C confessed.

The girl shose card had been stolen didn't want to call the police. I told C how lucky she was, that this thing could have essentially rruined her life. Diana, another secretary, told her that stealing was bad enough, but to do it to a co worker was despicable.

C was fairly impassive --almost annoyed at the whole affair. She left after writing out a resignation letter.

I was saddened at all of this. Her attitude showed she'll do this again, and probably escalate her life of crime.

The receptionist who brought her in is most embarrassed, wondering why she never knew her high school friend was a bad seed.

Ah --people come; people go...

No comments: