Friday, January 1, 2010

Coming Full Circle

In the early years of our time together, Wifey and I always hosted big New Year's Eve parties. In our first house, which was smaller than 15oo square feet, we once had over 100 people attend.

There were parties where faded rock stars sang, and work friends announced they had to leave at 11:30 pm to rush back to their Hialeah apartment so they could "synchronize new year sex." (I never learned whether they were succesful).

Our last big party was at our last house, for the '99-'00 event. We probably had 50-60 folks there, including a bunch of sleep over guests.

Over the past few years, we've been partial hosts for progressive neighborhood dinners, and last year we actually went out to a club in Coral Gables to hear a fine local blues musician.

As the Ds got older, sometimes we'd drop them at parties.

Well, last night, D2 went to a big bash, where one of her friends, a budding DJ, hosted 50 guests.

And, D1 and her boyfriend Thomas, both 21, went to Fox's. And here's the kicker --Wifey and I DROVE them over there! They didn't want to drive, of course, so Dad was the chauffeur again! I loved it!

D1 looked gorgeous as she left the house, as did D1. They both wore black, and were elegant. D2 and I spoke shortly after midnight, and she sounded as excited as my not too effusive teenager ever gets.

D1 called to tell me my favorite waiter at Fox's, Nelson, was taking care of them. I spoke to Nelson, an affable Puerto Rican chap, and he promised he'd watch out for and take good care of my "stunning" daughter.

He must have been succesful, as D1 and Thomas, laughing out loud, crackled up the gravel driveway at about 3:30 this am.

So, it's the first day of 2010, and I'm the only one awake. What else is new?

Wifey and I are heading to my old, dear friend Norman's for a New Year's Day brunch. His lovely wife Deb is back from her native Canada, and the two of them are gracious and funny. One of my resolutions is to see more of them in 2010.

And, of course a major resolution, is to continue to savor life. Who knew that I'd still get to drive my grown up daughters to parties?

No comments: