Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Door Mat

Door mat is one of Wifey's favorite phrases --she uses it to describe a person who repeatedly allows herself to be taken advantage of. Typically, it is seen when she does favors or good deeds for someone, and they never recriprocate.

I've had a habit for awhile -- I buy breakfast and lunch for all of the staff in our shared offices. It's become a running joke --whenever I do it, I ask the ladies when my wealthy lawyer suite mate is going to pick up the tab. He never does!

Actually --that's not true. Each Christmas, he goes to the Honey Baked Ham store and buys a ham and some rolls for the staff, and caters the "holiday lunch" with great fanfare. My partner PAul and I always find a reason to miss it.

Anyway -- I realize the fellow is on to something. Sadly --the ladies in the office (with the exception of my secretary) have no appreciation for being treated well.

LAst week, I bought them pizza, and then Friday, breakfast. They ordered lunch later, and I heard them munching away in the kitchen, while I sat alone like the nerd at the high school cafeteria no one wants to lunch with.

I came in to the room, and said, loudly "What did you guys order for me??!!!" There was awkward silence.

Anyway --the whole thing is silly, and the truth is, no one needs to miss some meals as badly as I do. But it underscores another lesson in human nature --we hate to feel taken for granted. At least I do.

So --office ladies --buy your own damn pizza and breakfast! I'll bump up my contributions to charity. These women treat the bosses the same regardless of largesse. I guess the annual Honey Baked Ham is enough!

As for me --no more Mr. Door Mat, at least in that regard!

No comments: