Monday, April 27, 2009

Show a Little Faith...There's Magic in the Night

Well fatherhood has some banner days, and D1 gave us one last weekend. Wifey and I drove to Gainesville to watch her perform in the UF dance club, the Dancin' Gators (what else would they be called?).

We arrived Saturday evening, and met D1 and her boyfriend and our neighborhood friend Elizabeth for dinner. Elizabeth is Wifey's good friend's daughter, and one of the most impressive young women I've ever met. She spends vacations volunteering at camps for diabetic kids, or picking up IV needles in inner cities. She's also beautiful, and funny, and brilliant. She's going to medical school in Tampa this Fall, and I can't wait to see her blossom as a physician. I may do a terrible thing and introduce her to Dr. Barry. I have a feeling these are two kindred spirits, and may end up working together someday. It's a terrible thing, because Elizabeth might well succumb to the lure of academic medicine, instead of the easier and much more lucrative specialties like Dermatology. It's a way off, though...

Anyway, after dinner we reconvened at the Phillips Theatre, and watched the show. The theatre was packed, and the show was terrific.

D1 choreographed her first dance, and picked one of my favorite songs, "Thunder Road." The dance was beatiful, of course --8 Gator women all dancing on point. As D1 spun and whirled, I saw her as an 8 year old up on stage, at one of her many early performances. She was so graceful and lovely even as a small child, and now she has the poise of a 20 year old, as well.

After the show, we met out front, where several more of D1's friends brought her flowers, and her favorite cupcakes. I've known most of these girls for 3 years now, and I remarked how nice it will be to meet again next Spring, for graduation. "Not so fast," they remarked, 'we're really happy here and now!" They seem to have a lot more wisdom than my friends and I did --we couldn't wait to finish college and get on with our lives. These girls realize how precious are these days.

We then went to the cottage D1's going to move to for her senior year, and met some more friends. We agreed to meet for breakfast at "The Flying Biscuit," a Buckhead (Atlanta) famous breakfast spot that opened in Gainesville.

Breakfast was more laughter, and good and lovely conversation. There's such an energy among college students.

Wifey and I drove home, and were greeted by a hardworking D2, in the midst of the toughest academic period of HER life.

So, I thank these two little girls of mine, who have somehow become young women. They're sacred to Wifey and me. There truly was magic in the night.

No comments: