Monday, May 18, 2009

Really Good, Sometimes

So, poor D2 missed the NYC trip on account of school, but she's been cooking with gas, lately.

She studied HARD for 4 AP classes, and finished the last one last week. I was talking with my friend Mike last week. Mike was on Law Review at UM, and is a partner with a large Miami firm. Neither he nor I worked 1/2 as hard in high school as our kids do now. It's the damn AP tests --it gives them college classes in high school. I guess time will tell if it's a good thing.

Anyway -- D2 got invited to UF for a program where they try to convince a select group of high school juniors that they SHOULD go to UF --not the other way around. When I cross examined D2 about that, she let on that, based on her PSAT score, she was a National Merit Scholarship finalist. Apparently, that's like being a blue chip athlete in the academic recruiting world. UF prides itself on having many Merit Scholarship types, which is why they're going after D2.

Last weekend, D2 also got letters from Princeton and Yale saying they think she's their "material," and ought to apply. I joked with her that maybe her exotic first name sounds African --so she's an affirmative action recruit!

Regardless --even attracting notice from these places is quite an honor. Go D2!

I thought I was done with Gainesville for the Summer, but now it appears I'll be heading there mid June for this recruitment program. Maybe we'll go home via Tampa, and celebrate at Bern's Steakhouse. D2 will make the call.

Yesterday, she had some friends over, re-creating scenes from famous paintings, which the kids then photographed. It was hilarious. The project was for AP Art History.

Maybe AP isn't so bad after all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Let us know if you are in Tampa!

Jacquelyn